A4 B8 passenger electric mirror not folding

Rust81

Hi All - new member here after buying my first A4. I’ve recently bought a 2014 A4 Avant and very impressed so far. One issue with the passenger mirror - these are the heated and folded mirrors. The drivers side folds in when I use the switch on the door but the passenger one doesn’t move, although it sounds like the motor is still working. I’m guessing the mirror must have been hit previously as the glass doesn’t sit in the housing with an equal distance between the glass and the frame, it’s almost shifted to the bottom of the frame. 

anyway my guess is new mirror which I can see from previous posts is quite expensive. I thought I’d post on here and ask for any advice or help. 

IMG_2559.jpeg

Hello Russell,

Welcome and thanks for joining. 
If it were mine, before guessing a new mirror is necessary, I would first be giving the ‘seating/swivel point a good dosing of WD40 and leave that soak overnight. 
Following morning:- get an assistant to try to fold the mirror while you press the remote locking button - and repeat. 
Perhaps you would  let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi - thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a go and see how I get on. The mirror does move manually which makes me think the motor isn’t engaged. The folding bothers me less than not being able to tilt the glass all the way, eg when in reverse it tilts down a bit but seems to then catch the frame which means the angle isn’t enough to see the wheels and keep. 

• 2 weeks later...

So it transpires the folding motor has been damaged and the glass has also been replaced by glueing a replacement on top which is why the glass doesn’t sit properly inside the casing. So new mirror it is….

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:42 PM, Rust81 said:

So it transpires the folding motor has been damaged and the glass has also been replaced by glueing a replacement on top which is why the glass doesn’t sit properly inside the casing. So new mirror it is….

Sorry to hear that.