Looking to buy - VED Band Question

General Banter

Hello all, looking to buy a Q7 imminently and have a question about VED bands/prices.

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I've noticed that some seemingly identical spec cars (2011, 3.0TDi) are in different VED bands. Some are £365 for 12 months and some are nearer £700. Why is this?

Cost aside, is there any material difference between those two category vehicles that would be relevant to me as an owner?

Thanks.

Edited by General Banter

I'm not sure why to be honest but I'd suspect it's based on the engine outputs. 

One key thing to think is do you want one with 5,6 or 7 seats. 

Tech packs are very useful

Check the mmi on the vehicle. As higher the better. 

Check service history. Mainly for proof of gearbox oil services and if it's had any work done the air suspension as that's the biggest problem with them.  

2011 was the year that the car got an 8 speed gear box instead of the 6 speed in 2010 and earlier. I think there was a slight facelift too and a slight engine refinement but the main difference is the gearbox which makes it better on fuel and nicer to drive on the motorway. It might of got the start stop too. Early 2011 cars (60 plate) and some early 11 plate cars probably won’t have the revisions. Get one with the 8 speed box it’s a lot nicer to drive

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Check the mmi on the vehicle. As higher the better. 

Thanks Steve.

What do you mean by this? I assume MMI is Multimedia Interface, but what constitutes 'higher' and how would I check?

Edited by General Banter
Extra words

Mines a 2010 

60 plate 8 speed zf and stop/ start 

Can't play music through Bluetooth and doesn't have aux cable but has 2 sd card reader's 

Tax is £380 by direct debit 

Ad say reverse camera is top of list there a big bus.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:50 AM, General Banter said:

Thanks Steve.

What do you mean by this? I assume MMI is Multimedia Interface, but what constitutes 'higher' and how would I check?

There's different specs of mmi some that have Bluetooth, some that don't, etc. 

9 hours ago, Steve Q said:

There's different specs of mmi some that have Bluetooth, some that don't, etc. 

Thanks.

So I bought myself one yesterday in the end, a 2013 SLine Plus. Looking through the setup menu on the MMI it looks like I have the 3G+ (HN+ in menu). I have the bluetooth, reversing camera and such but the only thing I don't seem to have is DAB, which is not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, General Banter said:

Thanks.

So I bought myself one yesterday in the end, a 2013 SLine Plus. Looking through the setup menu on the MMI it looks like I have the 3G+ (HN+ in menu). I have the bluetooth, reversing camera and such but the only thing I don't seem to have is DAB, which is not a deal breaker.

Very nice. Great spec and great mmi level 🙂

• Like 1