Audi A3 8P 1.6i - high rpm on motorway

otydeman

Go to solution Solved by Magnet,

Hi all,

Ive just bought my first audi. 2005 A3 1.6 petrol. it’s at 120k miles. 

I’ve got no issues whatsoever apart from when in 5th gear on the motorway/dual carriageway. When sitting at 70-80mph the car is at 3500-4000rpm which seems very high to me. 

Is this common with the 1.6 petrol due to only being a 5 speed? or is there a common fault that i can fix to solve this?

Worried about it drinking fuel on any motorway trips due to this - it also seems to lack a bit of power in 5th gear, and as it’s at 4k rpm at 80mph - any higher speed just makes the rpm go crazy high. 

Any help greatly appreciated- cheers 👍

• Solution

Hello Oliver, 

Welcome and thanks for joining. 
Having had one in the family since new, and now sitting on 172k miles, I can assure you your car is absolutely as it was when new. 
‘Drinking fuel on motorway trips…’ You will find that they aren’t that economical - around 38 mpg on steady speed-limit motorway driving, and about 33mpg around town. I don’t want to tempt fate, but despite that, I wouldn’t swop ours, judging by some of the issues listed on here with later models! 
What I would advise to preserve its hopeful longevity is:- 

Treat it to an oil and filter change. ( I use Quantum Longlife 5w/30 and change it annually - use a quality German filter) 

Renew the air filter every 2 years. 
All important - renew the cambelt ( and alternator belt) assembly unless you have documented evidence that it’s been changed within the last 5 years. 
Hopefully, if you look after the car, it will treat you well. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Oliver,

Would you be kind enough to please respond to the the reply, and confirm it adequately answered your question, so the thread can be correctly marked as a Solution. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.