Turbo's

phil watson
聽Share

Hi guys just wondering if anyone on here can help! I have a 2014 2.0L 177bhp A4 B8.5 quattro black edition and had considered upgrading it to a hybrid turbo but its very expensive! I've already mapped it with a stage 2 DPF EGR sorted etc Would a turbo off the 3L improve performance as an alternative to a hybrid? Appreciate any feedback 馃憤馃徎

Hi Phil,

Choosing the correct replacement turbo is difficult.聽 If you can get the 3L turbo fitted (inlet and exhaust port fittings i'm guessing will be different) as well as overall size, i'd think you'd have to constantly rev hard to generated boost.聽 Your 2L engine might not produce enough exhaust gas, and then you'll get huge turbo lag as you change gears.聽 Unless you are racing it and maxing out on revs all the time.聽 I might be talking bull so feel free to correct me.聽

I looked into changing turbo's over a decade over, so things might have changed.聽 I looked at variable vane / VNT / VGT, but i'm not sure what a hybrid turbo is.聽 definitely a variable 'type' turbo would be my choice, as it would keep my car drivable day to day.

So i didn't change my turbo decades ago due to the costs, but i did change the FMIC to a performance one, and looking online now, they are still quite reasonable in price with very little or no modifications.

Thanks, Joe

• Like 1