Tyres ?

geetee61

Need some new tyres for my 2007 A6 Quattro. I was under the impression that premium tyres were necessary but will I get away with mid range tyres as long as the speed rating is compatible ( 98Y ) ?

Hello Gaz,

I think ‘…getting away with…’ are the operative words, but you are of course right in believing you can fit whatever brand satisfies the speed and load requirements - and your pocket! 
As you will appreciate, the trade offs will include road holding ( in both wet and dry conditions), mileage you will get from them, noise levels etc. 

You will probably find, as I do, that on simple longevity, you will only get what you pay for, and lesser brands tend to wear out quicker, and the miles/£ might well show when you next have to renew them - plus you’ve probably compromised on road holding into the so called bargain. 

My advice for what it’s worth is to search for the best fitted prices you can find for premium brands, such as Michelin, then compare those prices with the best mid range you can find. 
I’ve just done the same with a set for our humble A3, and eventually found a very good fitted deal on Michelins at ATS ( never found a good deal with them before, but…). 

I had considered Uniroyal Rainsport, Vredstein, or  Nexen, all of which seem to have had generally good reviews, and there were  good deals from the likes of Demon Tweeks, Camskill etc., but by the time you add postage and local fitting charges, none of them worked out to be significantly cheaper than my deal at ATS.

Not sure if any of this will help you Gaz.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Gas, the good thing about Asda tyres is, you can buy premium brand tyres for mid range prices..  I bought 4 tyres for my A4 3.0 TDi Quattro for £200 less than Halfords and two other high street suppliers..

Gonna keep my eyes open and keep looking out for deals over Christmas and new year. MOT due end of February so I’ll need them before that. Rear offside is borderline and 2 fronts wearing on insides so tracking will need to be done when 4 new tyres are fitted. Thanks again guys.👍

Very wise move I think Gaz. On the reciprocal, I did it in reverse! and found my ATS deal on Michelins a couple of weeks ago, and booked and paid for them for an arranged fitting on 4th Jan. since I didn’t want to miss the deal. 
Deals are obviously transient, so for me, it was just a case of checking daily -ish and jumping in when the deal suited me. 

Gary quoted Asda as being £200 a set cheaper than Halfords (owners of National Tyres), yet a couple of months ago a family member had a great deal on a set 4x4 Pirelli tyres from National Tyres - far cheaper than anywhere else. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, geetee61 said:

Rear offside is borderline and 2 fronts wearing on insides

Hi Gaz, just to add my two pence worth.  Coming up to winter, better to have good tread on those tyres, if you drive the car often.  

Thanks, Joe

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the tyre situation. National Tyres doing a 20% off 4 tyres on certain brands ( Avon, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Autogreen ). 4 x Pirelli Powergy 225/50/17/98Y original price = £503 plus £12 tyre disposal so £515. Got them for £415 with the discount and mobile fitting on my drive is FREE ! Booked in for 4 wheel alignment at a local garage the day after fitting for £70. 4 x premium tyres and alignment £485 in total. I’m well happy with that. Thanks for all your comments guys they were very helpful. Have a great new year everyone ! Best wishes , Gaz.

Thanks for the update Gaz.
For National Tyres read Halfords - same umbrella. 
I managed to get a good deal on a family member’s 4x4 with them some months ago, but ATS turned up with the best deal for Michelins for our A3.

Hope that 2024 is kind to you as well.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Final update on the post guys. Pirelli’s fitted Saturday 06/01/24. Tracking done 08/01/24 locally and original price for x4 wheel alignment was £70. On the day it turned out rear wheel alignment was ok so only front wheels needed doing for £35 ! I can definitely say the handling and ride is better with the new tyres and also quieter. Total cost in the end for x4 Pirelli Powergys and tracking = £450. 😎😎😎

Edited by geetee61
Spelling
  • Like 1