2022 Q8 Electrical System Warning

jhayman70

I had this message appear nearly 3 weeks ago. Car was towed to the dealer. Seems to be a known issue that requires a new 48 volt unit. If you get this message do not drive your car. The Audi technician told me that this fault could cause the car to go into limp mode or stop working.

Not very impressed as the car has only 12k miles on the clock.

Still awaiting the car to be returned.

Welcome, thanks for joining, and sorry to hear of your issue. 

Thanks Jason ( can we take it that’s your name? - profile reads JSon). 

This issue sounds serious, so I wonder if you would be kind enough to colour in as much detail as possible, so that others become fully aware of how this issue is first shown, and what the ‘system’ advises you to do, and/or what the Audi dealer advised you to do do. 

Perhaps it might help to break it down into some questions:-

What was the exact wording that came up on your display? 
What was the wording colour?

Were there any associated messages, such as ‘Do not drive’ ; Do not use/ contact dealer etc? 

Did the car become immobile or went into limp-mode when the warning message was shown? 

Did you continue to use it between the time the warning appeared, and until it went to the dealer? 

I think that would be enough questions  for now, and trusting you will be able to help with some answers. 
Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Thanks for liking the response JSon,

Can we take it you are going to fill in the details for us when you can -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Gareth.

Forgive me...that was me that ' liked ' your post.

It was my way of thanking you as a Moderator for being detailed and logical in asking questions to always try to help fellow Audi owners out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jhayman70 said:

I had this message appear nearly 3 weeks ago. Car was towed to the dealer. Seems to be a known issue that requires a new 48 volt unit. If you get this message do not drive your car. The Audi technician told me that this fault could cause the car to go into limp mode or stop working.

Not very impressed as the car has only 12k miles on the clock.

Still awaiting the car to be returned.

JSon.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Q8 and the 48v  system.

On previous posts I did write that in my first Q8 in 2020 I almost always turned the start / stop system off as I thought it didn't achieve anything significantly and it was a nuisance. It was only later that I was informed that in doing this, I was disabling the 48v mild hybrid system.

So in my current Q8 I haven't disabled the start/ stop at all and therefore the 48 v unit is being used

I haven't had any problems with it at all so could you please keep us updated in how Audi is responding to your fault.

I hope its sorted for you soon.

Frank

• Like 1

Oh dear Frank - please excuse my oversight, and I naively thought it was JSon who had ‘liked’ the thread - silly me for assuming before looking! 

Sorry about that, and many thanks for acknowledging the reply, and even more importantly, sharing your very valid experiences in relation to turning off the stop/start. I must admit, I alway turn off the s/s (unless I forgot) on the non-Audi, because I believe it to be engineeringly averse - but that’s just a ‘dirty’ diesel. 
Many thanks again Frank for your help and input with this. 
Let’s hope JSon does come back with some answers - now that he has viewed my response. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gareth

The exact message was "Electrical System Fault, please contact the workshop". This message came up approximately one mile from my house. I called Audi Assist once I got home.

An Audi technician called me and told me not to drive the car as it could go into limp mode or just stop altogether. They recovered the car on a recovery lorry.

Audi have had the car for nearly 4 weeks now and have replaced the 48 volt unit. The car now needs a new alternator which is on back order from Germany with no lead time being given.

I have lodged a complaint with Audi as this fault has been know since at least 2019. As this is a 2022 vehicle, I do not understand why Audi are selling cars with faulty parts and known issues.

I am waiting on a resolution from Audi as I have lost confidence in my Q8 and really do not want it back. 

Jason

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jhayman70 said:

Hi Gareth

The exact message was "Electrical System Fault, please contact the workshop". This message came up approximately one mile from my house. I called Audi Assist once I got home.

An Audi technician called me and told me not to drive the car as it could go into limp mode or just stop altogether. They recovered the car on a recovery lorry.

Audi have had the car for nearly 4 weeks now and have replaced the 48 volt unit. The car now needs a new alternator which is on back order from Germany with no lead time being given.

I have lodged a complaint with Audi as this fault has been know since at least 2019. As this is a 2022 vehicle, I do not understand why Audi are selling cars with faulty parts and known issues.

I am waiting on a resolution from Audi as I have lost confidence in my Q8 and really do not want it back. 

Jason

Keep us posted on how you get on. I hope they've given you a courtesy car 

I have an A6 Allroad 45TDi Quattro 68,000 miles with this same fault. The vehicle shut down suddenly on a motorway in Switzerland and is now being repatriated to the UK due to parts being on factory back order - lead time indicated was 6 weeks. The Audi main dealer in Switzerland has failed to disclose the specific nature of the fault and parts required despite repeated requests in writing. Parts shortages/cost aside, this fault raises serious safety concerns. The illumination of the amber warning light, to illumination of the red warning light was a matter of just a few minutes with no chance to exit the motorway. The consequences of this happening on a UK 'smart' motorway do not bear thinking about. The Audi dealership which sold us the vehicle advised me appointments would be available  from 11 March 2024, which is totally unacceptable. After contacting Citizens Advice I called the dealership back as advised, citing the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and I was then told the car could be dropped off as soon as it arrives back in the UK. It is worrying that Audi seems very dismissive and disinterested. I have spoken to Audi UK head office and asked them to escalate this to Audi Europe, but so far I have had no success. I would be interested to hear if you have made progress. I have found details of a lawsuit in the USA relating to this issue and lots of other reports of issues. This is clearly a design issue and us absolutely not fit for purpose.

I sympathise with you completely. 

I had a call from the Audi dealer on Thursday, to advise me that the new alternator has arrived, and that they will fit the part and the vehicle will undergo extensive road testing.

I asked the service advisor if she had heard from Audi UK because I have rejected the vehicle due to it not being fit for purpose and I have lost confidence in the vehicle and brand.... obviously from her response she had not.

I called Audi UK to ask for an update and was told as this is now with the Dispute Reolution team, it will take 6 to 8 weeks for a conclusion. Audi UK and the dealer need to start talking.

I have been provided with courtesy cars ...... all Mercedes. They have not been like for like replacements but at least it is something.

The funny thing that happened in the week, was a call from the local Audi dealer trying to sell us a new car as a replacement for my partner's E-Tron. This is the same dealer who has my car. A bit infuriating but amusing. 

Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jhayman70 said:

I sympathise with you completely. 

I had a call from the Audi dealer on Thursday, to advise me that the new alternator has arrived, and that they will fit the part and the vehicle will undergo extensive road testing.

I asked the service advisor if she had heard from Audi UK because I have rejected the vehicle due to it not being fit for purpose and I have lost confidence in the vehicle and brand.... obviously from her response she had not.

I called Audi UK to ask for an update and was told as this is now with the Dispute Reolution team, it will take 6 to 8 weeks for a conclusion. Audi UK and the dealer need to start talking.

I have been provided with courtesy cars ...... all Mercedes. They have not been like for like replacements but at least it is something.

The funny thing that happened in the week, was a call from the local Audi dealer trying to sell us a new car as a replacement for my partner's E-Tron. This is the same dealer who has my car. A bit infuriating but amusing. 

Will keep you posted.

Please keep us posted on how you get on. It is annoying when the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing so to speak. 

Thank you so much for the update.

I am expecting my vehicle to be delivered to the dealership on a transporter today. I have been informed by the service department that they are currently inundated with vehicles and unable to confirm the date my car will be attended to by technicians.

Diagnostics have been carried out by AMAG Audi in Switzerland but apparently need to be repeated here in the UK.

I have shared the Audi UK case number with the local dealership and they will be requesting a courtesy car from Audi UK but are unable to confirm if this will be granted.

Why am I not surprised the sales department are more proactive than any other? I can just imagine your reaction when you received that call!!

I hope you reach a positive outcome very soon. I would be grateful for an update.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after one month without a vehicle we have received confirmation from our local Audi dealership that the alternator has failed. No news on when we can expect replacement parts to arrive. We have been offered no courtesy car and we are yet to find out if Audi will be covering the cost. An absolutely appalling attitude from Audi UK, their response to the dealerships request for goodwill is awaited......

We have reported our vehicle to the Driving Standards Agency as a dangerous vehicle. We have just provided the additional information they requested. We trust they will find this failure warrants a safety recall, wd had a narrow escape. I would urge others who encountered the Electrical Malfunction and a total immediate shutdown of their vehicle systems to do the same, this problem it seems has been present for years.

Hi Cally

Interesting new regarding the DSA. Will do the same.

Well, the new alternator arrived for my car 10 days ago and I have not heard a thing since. I had an email yesterday from Audi UK, stating that they are trying to put together a package that I will be happy with. It then goes on to say, if you have not heard from us in the next 4 weeks options will be presented to me.

Will let you know the outcome.

With regards the courtesy car, mine was managed through Audi Assist, who actually use the AA. The AA use Enterprise who my car is through. The cost of the hire, insurance etc. is being invoiced to Audi UK. This may be an option for you.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I’m looking to buy a used Audi Q8 (68 plate). I was doing a general background check on these cars are came across this issue which is making me rethink the whole thing. Does anyone have any more updates on this? Do you think this is widespread? And finally is there a recall in the Uk or Europe just like in the US. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you. 

Posted (edited)

Hi

A general update on my car. I got the car back after 7 weeks, new alternator and control units fitted. I picked it up on a Thursday afternoon only for it to be back on a low loader 2 days later. More faults appearing. Audi needed to fit more replacement control units and a new camera system. Another 2 weeks in the garage. 

Picked the car up and the cameras are not working 100%. 2 and a half weeks later and I am still waiting for Audi to contact me. 

Been a complete nightmare and Audi refusing to buy the car back from me. The saga continues.

Edited by jhayman70

I'm so sorry to read your update. I share your pain. I refused to collect my car from the dealership without written assurances which of course were never received. Audi applied pressure by telling me the Mercedes I had been driving for one month was coming off hire the same day at 6pm and if I drove it I would be uninsured. The hire car was only collected by Europcar some 9 days later, so an underhand attempt at closing my case.

The Leeds based Audi UK team offered me £500 for my trouble, which I rejected, again reiterating this is about safety not money. I want reassurances and in the absence of such reassurances a buy back.

On it's first outing my car showed a fault warning 'P button fault - contact workshop' and was slow on acceleration and would on occasion jump from D to M1. I contacted the dealership who took over a week to respond, by which point the fault light had 'disappeared'.

I took my car to the dealership yesterday after insisting they check it before I return to the Alps next week. It was lucky I persisted, my car needed a software update and reset having apparently lost it's memory. The technician advised the gearbox would soon have become jammed as it could not read which gear it was in. I am anxious to learn this within 7 days of heading overseas, I could so easily have become stranded again. I now have to hope it holds up.

I have Andrew Doyle's email address (headbof Audi UK) courtesy of another user and I will share this with you when I locate it.

Sadly, being polite and patient does not pay dividends. There are some other members of the forum who are pursuing other avenues including Ian Ferguson of rejectmycar.com and Watchdog, again for this fault.

For information, this is the title of the other discussion. I am sorry K do not know how else to share this with you. 

Alternator failure related to mild hybrid system?

Hi Cally. Thanks for your response. You were lucky that you were told the hire car was going to be cancelled. I got a bill for £638.00 from Enterprise as Audi had cancelled the car hire and not informed me. Took me a while to get the money back.

I have been offered approx £484.00 for inconvenience but have also refused to take it.... As you say it is about safety, not money.

Have a great trip. 

Jason