noise when reversing off drive at full lock

hellsfire

Hi ,when i reverse from my drive and have steering on full lock i get a  clunking noise coming from the front wheel area,when i drive forward and put on full lock either way i cannot hear a noise....i suspect maybe a shot CV joint but dont want to pay out until i am sure....are there any more checks i can do?? cheers in advance.

It is most likely a CV joint. You can test it by putting it in a gear with the engine off, then crawling under the car and clamping the drive shaft with self-locking grips (e.g. Mole grips). Rock the shaft to and fro to detect any play, which you will hear and see if the joint is worn.

• Like 1

thanks i will try that.......i have sought a few CV joints but then i find "its not suitable for your car" ?????   are they all different????

surely at least the diesels etc are the same ???

I would use a company called J&R CV joints, they are a British based company and they send out on a usually next day delivery

14 hours ago, hellsfire said:

surely this one should fit????   ebay always seem a bit daft when they see if its the right fitment????   wadya reckon??

Who can say? The company seems to have a good reputation and accepts returns, however £23 is remarkably cheap for a piece of complex machining.