Audi RS5 accelerator peddle snapped

Andypandya1

Hi guys… New to this forum, just thought I’d share my experience with Southend Audi.. I purchased a S/H RS5 a year and a half ago and recently, whilst driving through the dartford tunnel, my accelerator peddle snapped off at the top.. 

Ive taken it back to Audi and they’ve advised me the cars no longer under warranty and now want to charge me £300 to replace the peddle… 

they also advised it’s not a manufacturing error and that I’ve probably pressed it too hard! 

I cannot believe the poor level of service they are demonstrating! A peddle should never snap and If it had gone under the brake I probably wouldn’t be here today! 

just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? 

IMG_7057.jpeg

IMG_7056.jpeg

IMG_7055.jpeg

IMG_7054.jpeg

Hello Andy,

Thanks for joining and posting. 
For me to get this in my mind, the car is now around 7 years old, so 4 years out of warranty. 
The accelerator pedal snapped and Southend Audi? - or another dealer? wants to charge £300 to repair the car, and you think this should be covered by warranty, although that expired 4 years ago. 
This is just a personal view, but I think this is an unreasonable expectation ( if the above facts are as I make out from the details you give us), and again, it could be me, but £300 repair cost doesn’t surprise for Audi, and the model you have. 
You may find an independent maybe a bit cheaper for you, so worth an ask. 
Although this forum has no reason to defend Audi, or any of its dealers -  based on what you tell us, regrettably, I cannot support your view ‘….I cannot believe the poor level of service they are demonstrating’.

If the other Mods, or Admin. feel my response is too harsh, then obviously I’m very happy to withdraw anything.

Apologies Andy, that this is not the supporting response you were expecting. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth thanks for your response.. and you’re welcome to your opinion. 

To be honest I know the cars out of warranty and if it was something that usually breaks then yes I’d happily pay… but the accelerator pedal snapping off whilst I’m on a motorway is simply unacceptable… 

Say my wife had been driving with my kids and it snapped off and lodged under the brake..? 

my problem is with them is saying that I’ve pressed it to hard and they are not acknowledging any responsibility.. the cars done 24k this shouldn't happen with a car that’s done 200k… 

Ive spoken to various mechanics and even Audi technicians and everyone has said they have never heard of it happening… 

I my opinion they should fix it as a good will gesture and be thankful I didn’t have a serious accident.

Even Audi UK had never heard of it happing, and are dealing with it as we speak. 

In short, peddles shouldn’t just snap off.. period.

Edited by Andypandya1

Hello Andy,

One thing at might (in caps) aid your case is if it has full Audi service history. 
Does it? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi mate 

Yes, I bought it from them 16months ago. Approved, used, with full Audi service history. After 4 months of ownership it had to go back for 6 weeks because of a thermostat issue.. which they threatened me with a 3.5k bill, as they couldn’t confirm if it was covered under warranty… (6 weeks of stress I didn’t really need to be honest lol) luckily it was, and they fixed it free of charge.

hi andy, welcome to the forum.thank God nobody was hurt.never heard of this happening to anyone.hope you get sorted soon with a good outcome.kind regards stephen

• Thanks 1

I’m not one to usually moan but I’ve owned a few Audis in my time.. And recent experiences have been awful! 
I bought an Audi RS3 from Hatfield Audi about 4 years ago and when I got it home realised the exhaust valves squeaked… 

when I took it back 4 weeks later (due to them being very busy) they advised it needed new discs and tyres all round and a new exhaust… totalling 5k ! I had to argue with them that I’d only just bought it and the reason I’d taken so long to get it back to them was they couldn’t fit me in… 

Took 3 weeks of telephone wars for them to finally admit they were at fault and to fix the problems.. 

just isn’t what I expect from a premium dealer.. 

IMG_1614.jpeg

Edited by Andypandya1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Andypandya1 said:

I’m not one to usually moan but I’ve owned a few Audis in my time.. And recent experiences have been awful! 
I bought an Audi RS3 from Hatfield Audi about 4 years ago and when I got it home realised the exhaust valves squeaked… 

when I took it back 4 weeks later (due to them being very busy) they advised it needed new discs and tyres all round and a new exhaust… totalling 5k ! I had to argue with them that I’d only just bought it and the reason I’d taken so long to get it back to them was they couldn’t fit me in… 

Took 3 weeks of telephone wars for them to finally admit they were at fault and to fix the problems.. 

just isn’t what I expect from a premium dealer.. 

IMG_1614.jpeg

Hi Southend Audi are robbing gits, I have used them when desperate as they are near to me, get the part number off the sticker and go on eBay they have loads ranging from s/h £25 to new £95, its only about three bolts and a plug about an hour if you take your time and drink lots of tea between bolts.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lol 

Ive got one in the basket already for 47 quid, Audi oem part. And they are easy to fit..

but after spending thousands over the years at Audi dealerships, I want them to step up and take responsibility for a potentially lethal floor in my car… 

they should call me tomorrow with an update, I’ll keep you guys posted. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Andypandya1 said:

lol 

Ive got one in the basket already for 47 quid, Audi oem part. And they are easy to fit..

but after spending thousands over the years at Audi dealerships, I want them to step up and take responsibility for a potentially lethal floor in my car… 

they should call me tomorrow with an update, I’ll keep you guys posted. 

Hi I thought you might have one you made earlier hidden somewhere, I totally endorse your sentiments, but I can honestly say that the myth of premium brand will not bear close scrutiny, yes the paint and leather seats first class but as for the rest of it, the same as any other manufacturers they go wrong and are very complex to diagnose and fix and unless Audi get their customer service act together they will lose many customers, allied to their starship parts prices it is not good, just as an exercise I priced a new engine for mine on ETKA £12000 +vat for a bare engine, thats over half the price of a good late A6 second hand  as for the legendary full service history its not worth the paper its printed on, look at the guys that have posted about 2-3 year old cars serviced by Audi and found the air filters have never been changed since new and when asked they reply thats extra or thats not part of that service, thats when you discover that oil and filter change alone is £150 +vat, I buy quantum spec oil on eBay along with a Bosch filter for sub £40, an hour of my time job done, I must be doing something right as the car is now at over 180k and as I said before Audi genuine is someone else's quality part in a badge engineered box at twice the price.

Steve.

• Like 2