Chrome tail pipe trim removal

enc
聽Share

I鈥檇 like to replace the chrome trims on my A3.聽
from what gather you twist and tug at the trim until it comes away from the back box.聽
mine are not for budging at all聽馃槵聽any tips to ease removal?聽

1 hour ago, enc said:

I鈥檇 like to replace the chrome trims on my A3.聽
from what gather you twist and tug at the trim until it comes away from the back box.聽
mine are not for budging at all聽馃槵聽any tips to ease removal?聽

Hi Plusgas and have you checked for a locking bolt.

From what I have seen, they are a push (friction) fit. there are four clips (no screws/bolts)attached to the inside which slide over the actual tail pipes from the back box. Theres no way of getting any type of release fluid to where the clips are. It鈥檚 a good design鈥ut a bad design聽馃

Edited by enc

2 hours ago, enc said:

From what I have seen, they are a push (friction) fit. there are four clips (no screws/bolts)attached to the inside which slide over the actual tail pipes from the back box. Theres no way of getting any type of release fluid to where the clips are. It鈥檚 a good design鈥ut a bad design聽馃

Hi have you tried heating the unit with a blowtorch this often loosens up any corrosion.

I haven鈥檛 Steve. I鈥檓 toying with the idea of using a grinder to split them and pull them apart. Obviously this will render them as scrap but they鈥檙e pretty poor anyway.聽

• Like 1