Leak via rear hatch (tailgate) seal

AlanFR

My 2005 Sportback has recently started getting water in the boot after heavy rain. Used hosepipe to check for leaks and one could see water somehow going over the rubber seal. Tried softening the rubber with silicone grease and that may have helped a little but still getting water. It seems to get over the seal and drops mainly onto the side pieces on which the parcel shelf rests From there it goes onto floor of boot. The seal is not perished but perhaps has been too squashed over time? Any ideas how to solve? Is a new seal required, if so any good places to try to get one? Did online search and google search but no luck. I am reasonably competent at diy so is seal replacement fairly straightforward? Pic is after recent rain and just shows drops on and around seal.

A3 water droplets.jpg

Edited by AlanFR
misspelling

Alan.

Are you sure it isn't a leak from the rear wash pipe, which is a common problem? The pipe can split or the seal in the wiper motor can fail, both of which can lead to water in the boot.

If you are sure the lid seal has been permanently over crushed then nothing can be done to restore the rubber's elasticity. From what I remember the rubber does not need to make an absolutely water tight seal as long as it is close enough to guide water into the drainage channels formed by the shape of the steel lid and body. However I don't have my A3 any more to check this point so I can not be certain.

One other thing occurs to me. Is the boot lid closing enough to make a seal? Has the lid been twisted recently or the latch moved?

3 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Alan.

Are you sure it isn't a leak from the rear wash pipe, which is a common problem? The pipe can split or the seal in the wiper motor can fail, both of which can lead to water in the boot.

If you are sure the lid seal has been permanently over crushed then nothing can be done to restore the rubber's elasticity. From what I remember the rubber does not need to make an absolutely water tight seal as long as it is close enough to guide water into the drainage channels formed by the shape of the steel lid and body. However I don't have my A3 any more to check this point so I can not be certain.

One other thing occurs to me. Is the boot lid closing enough to make a seal? Has the lid been twisted recently or the latch moved?

I do not think it can be the washer pipe though it is possible - curiously the rear washer has stopped working but I think more recently. The water is on the sides rather than below centre and it is a problem even when car parked. Latch is worth checking though I am not aware of it being moved - not sure how one adjusts it though... Sorry to be a bit vague but this is actually my wife's car...

Thanks for ideas.