A6 C6 avant, 2.7 Le Mans headlamp bulb

Forest D

Good evening,

I hope someone can help. I need a new passenger side headlamp bulb for my 2010 plate A6 avant, as mine is starting to become intermittent, a sign it is about to fail apparently. Audi dealer said the book time is on 0.4 /hr, so only £70, but the bulb is £250+. it has HID lamps, with a fish eye cover over the main bulb, with a side bulb (flash) visible. Research in order to change this myself lead me to look for bulbs but I am getting conflicting answers from different sites telling me which is suitable for my car. 

I plan to take it Halfords and have them fit the bulb, which they say, according to their Reg input search engine is an H7 477 type. AutoDoc says it is a D2R HID Osram Xenarc.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance,

• 1 month later...

I also have the same vehicle with the headlight intermittently switching off. Is that your problem? Someone mentioned the headlight ballast could be faulty. Could you elaborate on intermittent and have you fixed it and what bulb? Thank you. It may help me.

10 hours ago, Howie Lemans a6 c6 said:

I also have the same vehicle with the headlight intermittently switching off. Is that your problem? Someone mentioned the headlight ballast could be faulty. Could you elaborate on intermittent and have you fixed it and what bulb? Thank you. It may help me.

Hi I am pretty sure your bulbs are D3s which are readily available along with the ballast on eBay for not to much money, not worth changing just the bulb/ballast as if they are the originals they wear as a pair, personally I would do both sides, just done my daughters Q3 which has the same system, bulbs about £70 the pair, ballasts about £30 each and an easy job to do.

Steve.