Front end rattle/rumble

Haiderali123

Hi guys, looking for some help please. Audi A3 2014 1.6tdi. Got what i can only describe as a "rattling/rumbling" noise coming from the front driver side wheel when driving straight and over slightly uneven roads, when turning the steering it goes, I've checked for play at the wheel and getting no play at 3-9 o clock and at 6-12 o clock. No play at all, ARB bushes are fine with no play in them.. I've replaced so far.. Droplink,, Ball Joint, Top mount, complete wishbone, driveshaft, still getting the rumbling/rattling noise. It happens when driving on slightly uneven road, any bit of uneven and i can hear it, dont tend to hear it over 40/50mph, also cant hear it if i turn left or right, only happens when driving straight. I suspect possibly wheel bearing but then again i dont have any play in the wheel. Any ideas? Garage has also had a look and they've said its just a process of elimination by replacing parts. Checked for no loose trims/undertray etc and all is secure.

Hi Jason, 

Yes checked the backing plate, fully secure, i replaced the strut top mount, audi checked the subframe bolts aren’t loose, replaced ball joint, wishbone, outer tie rod end, droplink. No play in the sway bar

1 hour ago, Haiderali123 said:

Hi Ian, could it possibly be the wheel bearing? Not sure if a wheel bearing would make a rumbling/thuding noise when driving at low speeds.?

In my experience a failing  wheel bearing usually makes a humming noise which is more pronounced when turning a corner. Also as the bearing deteriorates,  roughness can often be felt through the coil spring if the wheel is off the ground and spun. 

Enough grease in which bearing?

CV Joints have enough grease yes as its a brand new shaft i just put on to see if that fixed it but it didnt

No change in noise when dipping the clutch, its not clutch/engine related as it will happen even when coasting in neutral..

Strange one, ill probbaly wait for it to get worse before replacing more parts..

One thing i did notice was when i was doing very low speeds, such as 20mph and in 2nd gear, if i then went into 4th or 5th gear, i can kind of hear that same noise, isnt exactly the same but sounds very much alike.

Hi Jason, just a quick update, i randomly thought ill try nudging/kicking the tyre with it on the ground and i can hear the rattle/rumble noise when i kick it (kick the tyre sidewalk) but can’t replicate the sound on the passenger side. Very obvious on driver side, could this point to the bearing? i know the brake disk shield is fine on it and there’s no movement in it