1997 2.6 Cab - Hydraulic roof arms leaking

Andrew Bell

Another day, another problem...

If I open / close the roof (electric), there's hydraulic fluid leaking from the arms.  Searching online shows that they can't be repaired / resealed.  Does anyone have experience with replacing them or having them replaced? I assume it's not a simple DIY job?  Any recommendations for places that can do the job?  

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew - ive not done this work but have stripped and re-roofed a car so I've been there,-  removing the headlining is not that easy but I fancy with roof half open you may get enough slack and access to remove and replace rams. You can wedge the roof in this position 'half' - usually without damaging things-  and you need wedge because it won't stay there. The key thing is that youll have to top up fluid in the pump and to get access  most of the boot's lining may have to come out.   None's too difficult but time consuming and so potentially expensive.  There's no one i'd recommend. There are good hood trimmers but few may want the mechanical work.   You'll need green hyd fluid for the pump and it must be filled to a set level, which you can just about see with your head on the boot floor.        

• Like 2

Thank you.

My local "ol' boy" mechanic knows a guy... don't they all... who does replacement hydraulics for auto-lift boots, who thinks he can swap them, only problem now seems to be sourcing them.

The local retrimmer, as you said, won't touch the hydraulics and won't replace the roof until they're done, so for now I'm stuck until I can find replacement rams.