Identifying occasional thick white smoke cause

Jesse

Hi guys.

just trying see if there is anyone that may have come across this before, prior to having a thorough rummage. I have checked the forum and couldn’t see anything related, if I have missed it please point me in the right direction.

basically on two occasions now, when I have been on full lock and the left front a has dropped of the kerb some oil must have spilled onto something hot and burned producing a white smoke that pours out of the near side wheel arch area near the back of the engine bay.

it smells like it could be transmission fluid, which would point to the power steering pump or pipes at the back of the engine. 

I have also read that it could possibly some oil shifting from a collection tray onto the cat.

it only happens when the car is jolted from the drop of a kerb. The rest of the time everything is all good.

Any ideas at all? 

Much appreciated 

Jes

Will do.

starting to think it may be the rack, o ring seal at the track rod end starting go. 

just had 4 new tyres fitted and they couldn’t adjust the tracking as the near side rod end was seized. So going to replace those and if the leak is there…. and it is just a trickle being pushed out through the impact of the wheel dropping then I will pop some Lucas power steering stop into the fluid. From looking around this is probably my the best course of action. If the leak is more serious then it will be a rack replacement by the look of it.

Fingers crossed 🤞it’s a small occasional leak