Loud engine/Exhaust noise drone above 3000RPM. Standard car.

Lewis

Hi

2004 1.8T Quattro 190

Wondering if anyone has had any similar problems or can give advice.

My car seems very refined to drive until I accelerate/put the car under hard load above 3000rpm. It then sounds very harsh and loud - and not in a good way.

Also the car seems to have a very loud drone/hum at 80MPH which sounds like it is coming from under my feet/back of the engine. Clutch/Exhaust/Sensors/Transmission etc?

Now I understand the cars are generally viewed as loud engines, but I know this is more than that. My girlfriends 1.4 diesel car is actually quieter at 80MPH.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi And welcome to the club

Does the car judder when pulling away? I am thining Gearbox, Flywheel (although it would judder when pulling away)

hard to tell without hearing it

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for replying.

The car doesn't noticeably judder when pulling off. To be honest it seems smooth and quiet.

I am concious that if anything the clutch bite point seems high, but with no slippage I am dubious if this would cause the symptoms I am encountering.

• 1 year later...

Just a note to say I still have this issue, it has never got any better or any worse.

The noise/loudness completely disappears if I press in the clutch, which suggests to me that it may be connected to the drivetrain of the car?! Who knows!!

After about 75mph the loudness change in tone from the engine is crazy to be honest, I wish I was imagining it!because I have no idea what it could be!