Audi 3.0TDI Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

MissAudiTDI

Hi all...

I plugged my baby into my VCDS and I've got the fault code for Fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor - circuit intermittent

Either the circuit is open or the sensor it self is faulty.. any ideas as to where I can start to look??

Thanks in advance

Dani

Hi Dani.

I would think that the sensor itself is to blame. After a quick search that would seem the most likely cause. I also found this list of other potential problems.

- High fuel pressure - Low fuel pressure - Damaged FRP sensor - Excessive resistance in the circuit - Low or no fuel - Wiring harness connector of the fuel pressure sensor - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor - Fuel

My background isn't in mechanics so I'm afraid I'm of little use when it comes to how to fix it. Hopefully somebody else on here knows.

Ok, thank you I appreciate your reply.

LOL @ no or low fuel..!!!

I think it's low pressure as the car doesn't start at all.. I guess I'll just have to start testing the sensor its self and then the wires for continuity.

I just didn't want to trip anything by using a multi meter.....

Dani

I laughed at no or low but I guess there are those among us that might no even think to check it has fuel.

Don't blame you for not wanting to trip something, could be catastrophic.

Glad I could be of some sort of help, Glen.

Yeah I guess, some people just expect it to be there and that it refills itself... :P

All is ok, I did a bit of research... I checked the pressure in the system, which was ok...

then took the multi-plug off the sensor and that didn't give a reading...

so I did a continuity check on the 3 wires from the sensor (supply, earth and signal) back to the ecu and the signal wire was the one with the fault. I've bridged the wire bypassing the broken wire and voila ... she's alive :D

Just thought I'd update incase anyone has a similar problem in the future.

Dani :)

• 3 months later...

Congratulations Dani, well found.  The 3.0TDI V6 does have plenty of wiring taking tight and awkward routes around all those pipes under the engine cover, there are plenty of places it could potentially rub and cause the problem.  It might be worth tracing the open circuit on the wire back in case the live and earth are on their way out too.

Tech