Q7 vehicle recovery advice please

Mi_chael

Hi all you Audi drivers,

i'm hoping someone may have some advice on recovering a Q7. This is a works car we have had since new on permanent hire (MY08 LHD). It failed to start yesterday for the first time and after 24hrs of efforts the hire car company mechanics have admitted defeat. A new battery has been fitted, but 5 burnt out fuses have since been found. 

However, the gear shift is stuck in 'P', we cannot move it into the Neutral position to winch it onto the recovery truck. 

The Audi dealer is shut as it's the arab weekend here...

Any ideas would be greatly received. 

Thanks in advance

mike

Hi Mike.  Remove the front ashtray insert (the part you remove to empty the ashtray).  Under there you will see a black cover with a small lip allowing you to carefully pry it out with a flat screwdriver.  Once removed you will see a button that can be pressed.  Press this button and hold it down whilst moving the gear lever to position N.  Make sure the Q7 is recovered on to a flat bed truck, not towed with any of its wheels on the road, as this would damage the gearbox.

Tech

Hi-Tech,

i managed to get  the gearbox into 'N' following your instructions, but then couldn't unlock the steering wheel!

Fortunately i managed to pursuade the hire car company to get an Audi tech out to fix the car - which is what i'd asked him to do in the first place.

The q7 is now back on the run after an afternoon of work by the audi guys undoing what the other techs had messed up on Friday.(they had fitted the wrong type of battery among other things)

I went out in the car today and all seems well..

Thanks again for your help - this forum is now in my favourites!

Regards

Mike

Sometimes roadside assistance guys can make life very hard for dealership Technicians, erasing fault codes we need to see, creating ones that shouldn't be there etc, some are good though.  Glad your car is back on the road.

Tech