Cylinder on demand, your thoughts?

Tech

What does everyone reckon to Audi's downsizing idea of 'cylinder on demand' technology?

There is a clip on the home page of this forum regarding the new 1.4 TFSI that can shut down to run on only two cylinders when it doesn't require all four.

The technology first appeared at Audi on the 4.0TFSI engine in the A8, then in the Bentley Continental, the S8, S7, S6 and RS6.  This V8 can shut down half of its cylinders also.

Now it is an optional engine in the A1 and A3, is it technology you would be willing to pay a premium for?  

What are your thoughts?

Tech

Sounds like a great idea.  All engines cut off the fuel on overrun, when the car's momentum keeps the engine turning.  This carries the same principle a step further, giving you a 700 cc motor when you don't need 1.4 litres.

Last week I test drove a 1.4 with start-stop and although I didn't like the idea at first, I gave it a go and it worked just fine!  So I'd like to try the cylinder-on-demand engine.

Yes, from my point of view, technically it is a great idea!  However, unlike start/stop, it is a cost option.  Start/stop is fitted on the majority of new cars as standard now.  Would consumers be willing to pay a premium for the eco friendly technology?