Radiator Fans Keep Running after engine switched off

jessbailey

Hi All

I just joined today, partly because I have a problem with my 1999 A3 1.8t quattro.

Yesterday I had the cam belt replaced, and the garage also replaced the other tensioners and the water pump and replaced all the coolant.

Last night, I did a 20 mile journey and when I switched off the engine, the radiator fans kept going. After about 15 minutes and a bit of panic-induced googling, I disconnected the battery.

I spoke to the garage this morning, as it seemed too much of a coincidence that this should happen on the first journey after the work they had done.

I was told 'well, it's an old car and these things happen'

I would have been more willing to accept this, if they hadn't done a less than brilliant job on fixing an electric window the week before, and to be honest, I have lost faith in them, even though they were recommended.

I know nothing about cars, so I have to rely on people I feel I can trust, so I am throwing this out there to see if anyone has any advice.

From the little I read, it seems that it could be a small job or a big expensive job to put right.

Thanks in advance for your help with this, and please excuse the ramble - I'm a newbie!

• Like 1

If they have replaced the water pump, their is a chance that they may not have bled all the air out of the cooling system properly, thus causing certain parts of your engine to get too warm and the fans to keep running.

Tech

Thanks very much for replying so quickly - this does sound like a possible culprit!

I actually left  the car overnight with the battery disconnected and then this morning went to reconnect the battery and the fans fired up again at full power!

I have booked the car in for Monday morning to a more 'trusted' garage and will let you know what they say.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers

Jess

• 1 month later...

I took the car in to Halfords Autocentre in Kingston and it was indeed the Fan Control unit, which has now been replaced - end of problem!

I don't know if anyone else out there has used Halfords, but I am really pleased with their service and pricing, and their attitude!

I just had the car serviced and MOT'd and they did a great job at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the help with this

Cheers

Jess

• 8 years later...

Recently bought a 2014 Audi A3 from an independent dealership, they changed cambelt and water pump at our request due to mileage 61k today drove it a bit for about 3 weeks, short journeys, and today the fan stayed on for a few minutes each time I pulled up, it hasn't done this before now .... Any ideas?