Scraping on rear tires/arch liners...

Bozzy1987

Hi, I am in desperate need of some advice. I have a 2.0 FSI 8P, bought it semi-customised, it's running on 19" alloys which, is really not standard and quite uncommon, only problem is if I carry more than 1 passenger or have things in the boot, the rear tyre scrapes against the wheel arch/liner as I go over any kind of bump. I'm not sure if its been lowered as well as the alloys changed or if the previous owner upgraded the suspension also. Wheel arches have already been rolled, but I'm trying to remove the scraping without removing the wheel arch liners, as I heard that's not a good idea?!? But I don't wanna for out money for a whole new suspension set up as it might not solve the problem. if any of you guys/girls could advise me of the problem or if you have had the same thing happen?!?!?

Thanks.

The simplest answer is to sell the car and take 3 mates as ballast to the next one you test drive, so any scraping tyres show up before you buy it.

Failing that, you could get some 17 or 18 inch alloys and tyres, then sell the 19 inch ones to help with the cost.

Otherwise it will mean some stiffer springs or progressive springs.  Progressives have tighter coils at one end, so the more they are compressed, the more they resist.  And then sell the old springs.

The problem is buying a car someone else has modded.  If they got something as fundamental as this wrong, what else is waiting to bite you or your wallet?

• 2 months later...

do you know the width of the wheels? maybe changing the rear tyres to 235s aswell may solve the rubbing. depending on whether the front wheels are the same width as the rears you could test them by swaping them round and taking it for a drive?