Buying advice

Gregwaa

Hi, I'm wanting to purchase my first Audi, in particular the A4 S-Line Estate, I have two option at the moment but any guidance is appreciated. Do I go for a TDI 2.0 (140) 137000 miles or T (190) Quattro with 94000 miles? The first is £5k and the 2nd £4k but does need a new cambelt in the next 5-10k and a service, otherwise in great shape. At this stage which is the best option? I also want to future proof myself, would repairs on both be approximately the same cost if the same thing went wrong?

Forgot to mention the TDI is 2006 and ready to drive away, just higher mileage, and the Quattro is 2004. Am I right in thinking the Quattro will average 30mpg whilst the TDI will average above 40mpg, would i not be better off paying a little more now and then recouping the difference on fuel and tax costs later down the line?

If the TDI has been looked after and serviced properly then it should have plenty of life left in it yet. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for economy overall then the diesel will be a better choice.

However, bear in mind that diesel is around 10p per litre more expensive and the car is £1000 more so you need to take into consideration how long you will have the car and how long it will take to recover the extra costs. Most people seem to think that you need to do around 12000 miles per year or more to benefit from having a diesel once you have taken into account the (generally) increased cost of buying one and the extra 10p per litre on fuel.

Let us know what you decide to do  :)