Hi, after nursing my trusty old 1991 deisel cavvy through mot's with a welder for the last fourteen years  i decided i deserved something better quality for my autumn years so I've just bought my first Audi, a 2004 A3 2.0 TDI i really like the car despite it having a few electrical faults which i'm hoping  are common faults that some one here may have an answer to .

The battery goes flat if the car is not driven every day and the hazard switch is illuminated nearly all the time, the drivers window always goes down to the bottom  before it will go up when i send it up with the switch and the drivers door does not register on the dash when its open, i have plastic welded the actuator for the glove box slow release back together and cured the glove box light from staying on constantly  and repaired two signal wires that had lost insulation and could have been shorting out that go through the drivers door frame to the door, i have since then (with the use of a starter pack connected to the negative lead earth point) put a multi meter in between the positive starter pack lead and positive battery terminal before disconnecting the negative car lead from the battery so as not to trigger the alarm and fry my meter while i read the amps drawn, with both doors open and latches in the closed position  i then lock the car with the fob and it momentarily draws 3.5 amps while the hazard lights flash as the alarm arms then quickly settles to 1.5 amps, after about a minute it settles down to about 450 ma and there it stays regardless of which fuse is pulled, it has on a couple of occasions dropped to 250ma of its own accord and entered "sleep" mode even dropping to 150ma while asleep but i'm  mystified as to why, i've checked the bootlight goes out when the boot is shut by leaving the back seats folded down and its not that. electrical problems have never been my strong point but this is the first time they've defeated me, has any body got any idea's?. thanks in advance

Hi, the previous owner was kind enough let me know it had a new battery but failed to mention the faults. to be honest i could live with the the faulty electric window and door micro switch although i intend to sort them out too. i only mentioned them because i thought they could be related to the power drain which is my main priority for now even though the stereo has now gone to safe mode since i took the battery off to charge it and wont respond to the unlock code on the card with matching serial number.    .