Failed TDI automatic gearbox

Greg68

I own an Audi A6 tdi 2.0 CVT auto. It was registered in Jan 2012 and although I use it heavily, mileage currently 87,000 it has been trouble free. I have always had it serviced at the recommended intervals and I drive considerately and the majority of the mileage is motorways miles, cursing at 75 mph.

With no warning the gearbox failed to select reverse although drive was unaffected. After investigation the diagnosis was a new gear box at the price of £7,600 fitted !

Of course Audi has offered a sensible contribution, but has this or similar incidents been experienced as I am wary of buying another, even though the car is perfect in all other areas

Audi A6 Avant 2.0tdi CVT 70,000 miles. (This post now has me worried)

Hi, have Audi told you why they have said the gearbox is at fault and not any other part? Obviously a new gearbox will more than likely solve the problem but there must be another solution...

I would be very interested to know if you find out any more!

Keep me posted!

Hi ,

The main fault was a damaged selector shaft which had caused further damage to associated parts as a result of trying to engage the reverse gear by Myself, the Audi roadside technician and the dealership. The parts could have been replaced but the cost of the parts was around 50% of the complete gearbox cost. With the gearbox having a 2 year warranty and a generous contribution from Audi, as the car was officially out of warranty at 60,000 miles, it was the sensible choice to replace the entire gearbox. 

There was no indication at all of an issue prior to the failure, I was amazed.

I would guess your car is due a gearbox oil change around now, perhaps get the dealer to carry out a free inspection ?

Do you mind if I ask what the cost was and how much Audi contributed?

I was aware this was a common issue with this engine pre 2008/2009 but I was told by Audi my engine was a post mod and this issue had been sorted. Obviously not...

I had my gearbox oil changed at 50,000 (supposed to be 40,000 but the dealership forgot.... Because they forgot I got it for free by way of an apology)

I too was aware of previous issues as a colleague had similar trouble on pre 2009 models, but was assured that these were no longer a risk by the dealership, when I ordered it in 2011.

The parts (fitted) were £3400 opposed to the gearbox (fitted) which was £7600

Audi initially offered 70% discount, we finally settled with me having to fund £1000 + VAT.

I must admit it has made me wary of purchasing another 2.0 TDI Auto, even though I am a very keen VAG user this being my 7th vehicle !

I hope this helps, but not sure what you can do to reduce the risk, as my car is not driven hard and is well serviced. The dealer stated is is very uncommon but it was not a particularly hard negotiation for the discount, which makes me think it could be otherwise ? 

Ouch that's not cheap... My car is also not driven hard and has full main dealer service history. So far my car has never skipped a beat, it's my second Audi and the best car I have ever owned so I suppose ill just keep my fingers crossed.

On the plus side it's a good excuse to buy the 3.0tdi bi-turbo next time ;)

Did you have any small issues leading upto the main problem that you noticed or was it literally one day the gearbox stopped selecting reverse without warning??

No warnings at all. The gear stick would move into the"R" position, the reversing sensors would activate, the engine would rev but the reverse gear would not engage.

I drove 150 miles to a client, stopping a few times en route using reverse with no problems. Parked at my customers for 2 hours and then the problem arose. Pushing my car backwards in the customers car park was a touch embarrassing !