A3 1.4 TFSI COD Smoke from Exhaust

MP78

I have owned an A3 1.4 TFSI COD SLINE from new (2014) for 1 year now, currently on 8000 miles. The exhaust throws out quite a bit of smoke and has done since I have owned it. It went back to Audi a few month's ago and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

I went on a 30min journey to work this morning and it pretty much smoked the whole way to work, I know it's colder at the moment but surely this should not happen to new cars for this long. It also looks wrong when no another cars are smoking like that around you.

I can take it back to Audi but I am sure their answer will be it cold that's why it smokes, this feels like a poor excuse to me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi - I know you posted this a while back, but I also have the same model and since new in sep2016 it has also done the same - it is a bit disconcerting but I have seen other very new TFSI's also doing the same thing so it seems for whatever reason that this engine/exhaust design seems more prone to do this. I had mine checked at the dealers but they were not concerned that there was any issue and there is no obvious excessive oil or coolant loss. Did you ever sort yours or does it still do it?

moderator - just noticed that both of these posts should be in 8v forum - can you move please?

Edited by mistac
in wrong part of forum

I guess so (hopefully) - there is no obvious coolant, oil or other loss and the smell of the steam/smoke is clear in appearance and not smelly/dirty so probably condensation I would hope. Assuming it is a trait, I guess it is something I will have to monitor but it is quite noticeable compared to many other cars about! 

Keep a close eye on all the levels and if nothing is dropping then all well and good.

Oil consumption is something to be aware of but this should improve as the engine beds in

• 2 weeks later...

I picked my 63reg a3 last week and have noticed the same. It's got 28000 on the clock. Could have so something to do with the COD engine. I only notice it when it's coasting on 2cylinders

• Like 1