Reversing sensors problem

ProfPat

Hi

I've recently bought an A4 convertible (2.4 V6 petrol) which has reversing sensors. These worked just fine for a couple of weeks but now I get either a continuous tone or random beeps - a bit like morse code. And then just every now and then, they work OK. I asked the garage to plug the diagnostic in and they got no error code suggesting it was probably a loose connection. And now I can't find a single auto electrician in the area (I live in Warwickshire) so I guess I need to try and fix it myself - the (very good) garage won't touch it. 

Any ideas? I can't even work out how to get at the wiring as it looks like you have to remove the bumper and I don't want to get in to that....

If it's not showing any fault codes then it sounds like a lose connection. Usually VAGCOM would show up an error if a particular sensor was at fault, so it would be a case of following the wires/checking plugs to identify a problem.

Also, may be worth a shot in switching the ignition on (without the engine running) and putting the car in reverse. You can then put your ear against each sensor and you should hear a faint clicking noise. If one doesn't click then it is often that sensor that is faulty.

Hi James

Thanks - I just had a go at this and despite the beeps being random, all 4 sensors were clicking. Guess I need an auto-electrician!

BTW I just bought a gadget to plug in to the diagnostic socket. I went for one that connects by wifi and although it seems to pair with my laptop, I can't get it to actually connect properly. I've tried a couple of software options. Don't suppose you've tried this?

I haven't tried that type of diagnostic tool unfortunately but I assume it's meant to work with Audi? Have you checked the ignition is on when you are using it?

At least you know your sensors themselves are OK now, although I guess that would have been an easy solution!