Diesel Emissions

Wesley949

Hi All,

I have a 64-plate Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-Line Multitronic (150PS)

I have just checked my VIN number on the Audi UK website to see if my vehicle is affected by the Diesel Emissions issue that came to light a few weeks ago.  I kind of knew my vehicle would be one of the affected ones and now have confirmation.

Nothing else has been stated other than that Audi will contact me over the forthcoming weeks and go from there,

I was just enquiring to see if anyone has a rough incline of what the "fix" is going to be.  Will it just be a software update or will be more intrusive and require an engine modification.

I still prefer Petrol as my number 1 choice but went with Diesel for the better MPG as I do a small amount of Motorway miles per Month and I like the three-week plus gap between filling up.

post-2797-0-72085800-1444218383_thumb.jp

Hi Wesley,

No one knows what the official fix will be yet but it's likely to be software. It's either that or ad blue tanks but the cost to VW and inconvenience to customers will likely prevent that.

The problem is that if it's a software update no one knows how much of an impact it will have on MPG/performance. Surely if the car was able to have software that allowed it to pass emissions whilst retaining the same performance and mpg they would have never bothered with the "cheat device" in the first place.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I would ask around anyway, despite no "official" fix being published.  Like most people, was just curious.

I think it will probably be a software fix as I am guessing installing an Ad Blue system to a car without it might be costly upgrade/modification.  From what I've been told is that the Ad Blue system is a pain with the refilling despite the face it lowers emissions.

Despite the cheat software, the testing of vehicles in a laboratory will never be the same as a road test as I've been told that testing means over inflating the tyres to higher pressures, taping up all gaps with the panels and doors to assist in wind flow, and maybe even remove the wing mirrors.

I know my vehicle is one of the many with the cheat device and maybe I am not achieving the "booked" MPG figures as I enter my refills on a iPhone APP (Road Trip) and it logs my fuel cost, mileage, miles covered etc.... and my lowest is 38.62 MPG and the highest to date is 48.72 MPG.  It states my average is around 44.04 MPG, so i really cannot complain.  Its much better on fuel that my Ford Focus ST ever was (lol) and my last diesel car, a 2011 Ford Mondeo Titanium X Sport TDCI (200 PS), so I still benefit all round at the moment.

Ad blue isn't all that bad as it only needs refilling about once a year depending on how many miles you cover.

The Focus ST is quite a fun car actually I owned one for a couple of years a while back too  :)

• 10 months later...

I think this is the way forward - it's a petition to make VW UK pay up.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/make-vw-pay-for-their-corporate-fraud

They have already in the US to the tune of $10k!  I don't see why they should get away with it in the UK ...

Regards,

Dr Spankle

Any compensation is great, but despite the start of this whole scandal I have not followed it for a while now.  I have no idea on what is happening in the US regarding this?  IS it a cash compensation or something else?

I was told prior to placing my order that the Emissions in the A4 is far better than what my current vehicle was emitting (a Mondeo Titanium X Sport TDCi (200PS)) so maybe that was a main option in choosing Audi.  Seems like a car version of the whole PPI mis-sold issue.  With the Emission issue associated with my Audi A4, I would still buy another Audi Diesel in a heartbeat....but I need to pay off my current one first.

My vehicle is now booked in towards the end of August to have the Emissions software update, so lets see if anything changes afterwards. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Today was the day....the Emission software update.  My Audi Service Centre had my car this morning for the update.  When booking-in, I was advised that to-date, my Service Centre had not received any bad feedback from this new update.  Dropped my car off at 07:30am, then at 10:30am, got a call back from the Service Centre saying my car was ready.

Had the following carried out - Emission Update, Air-Conditioning Update and renew of the cabin pollen filter.

It is too early to know what difference this Emissions update had done to my car but driving home, the car did seem to drive smoother and was actually a pleasure to drive but being Automatic, think I was comparing it more to the manual A3 TFSI courtesy car and my "out of practice" gear changes.  Anyway, I am on the Motorway for a bit next Weekend so I guess I will see if I still hit the 55 - 58mpg figure I achieved a few weeks ago driving at 70mph in cruise control.

I'm not expecting any significant change as to be fair, I have no idea on what this Emissions NOX does.  I know there is a system in the car which gives out Factory settings when obtaining Emissions figures which is different when actually taken out on to the open road(s) but no-one has told me as to what this upgrade actually does to my engine.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...