A4 New Member

loganjack

Hello from South Wales, UK.

I am an owner of a "58" plate A4 S Line 2.0 TFSI with just over 45,000 miles on the clock and had the car from new having previously owned an A3  from new.

I have a front cabin noise which sounds like plastic knocking or rubbing against plastic, for example a pen sliding back and fore.

The noise can be heard from stop-start whilst engaging first gear and extremely more noticeable whilst reversing and braking very hard.

The car had a major service in early September and also passed it's MOT with flying colours.

I think the noise could have developed after the visit to a main Audi dealership but I do not know for sure.

I have removed all loose articles from inside the car that  could have possibly been the cause and have checked all that I can without any luck.

I thought the noise was coming from the front arm rest area.

Family and friends think likewise or the driver's front door area.

Before I contact my Audi dealership I would appreciate any input on the issue.

Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome  :)

Difficult to say on the sound without hearing it. If it actually sounds like something sliding back and forth then perhaps it could be just that, albeit something out of site?

I'd try to isolate the area that it's coming from first. Once you have done this it may be a case of taking trim apart to try and find the culprit...

• Like 1

I think I have found out what the problem was and how I detected where the noise was coming from. Whilst reversing my car and then braking to stop I held my mobile phone and recorded the noise from my driver's seat. The noise was much more noticeable near the dome courtesy lights and believe me or not I noticed that the left-hand bulb was not working, I have not driven my car at night time in our summer so I had not noticed it was not working. Trip to my Audi dealers in the morning for a fix.I wonder if the bulb has worked loose?

I think I have found out what the problem was and how I detected where the noise was coming from. Whilst reversing my car and then braking to stop I held my mobile phone and recorded the noise from my driver's seat. The noise was much more noticeable near the dome courtesy lights and believe me or not I noticed that the left-hand bulb was not working, I have not driven my car at night time in our summer so I had not noticed it was not working. Trip to my Audi dealers in the morning for a fix.I wonder if the bulb has worked loose?

Certainly possible and that could cause the "sliding around" noise you mentioned. Should be a nice easy fix too. Let us know how you get on at your dealer  :)

Job done £23.42 for dome removal and 2 new bulbs.

Technician found a loose bulb that had broken and was moving back and forth.

Technician also replaced the good bulb with a new one just in case the same thing happens in the near future.

Thank you Audi Sinclair Bridgend.

I am more than happy with my diagnostic check and solution find by using "voice record" of my mobile phone.

I would advise for any noise related irritations in the car to use "mobile phone voice record) as long as it was safe to do so.

Thank you James for the interest that you showed. 

Yep one happy bunny here.

Job done £23.42 for dome removal and 2 new bulbs.

Technician found a loose bulb that had broken and was moving back and forth.

Technician also replaced the good bulb with a new one just in case the same thing happens in the near future.

Thank you Audi Sinclair Bridgend.

I am more than happy with my diagnostic check and solution find by using "voice record" of my mobile phone.

I would advise for any noise related irritations in the car to use "mobile phone voice record) as long as it was safe to do so.

Thank you James for the interest that you showed. 

Yep one happy bunny here.

Good news, glad you got the problem sorted! Always satisfying when you get something sorted for a great price too  :)

• Like 1