Able211

Yes, I guess many people still find standalone systems like TomTom better but don't forget these companies are experts in the field. Personally even if it's not quite as good the convenience of having it built in is still the best thing for me, especially the amount I use it!

Yes, agree about the convenience, but the thing that bugs me at the moment, is that my A3 is brand new, but the sat nav is already in need of updating, the speed limits it displays are wrong, and I can't see anything on the Audi site with details for updating! Bit disappointing.

If it's brand new and already out of date I would contact your Audi dealer to see if they can do a free of charge update. As far as I'm concerned a brand new car should always come with the latest updates installed!

I picked up my new A3 Cab' a week ago. It was supplied with an SD card for the Sat Nav, dated 2016. Like others, I feel most annoyed that it is already out of date. It does not have changes made to major roads around me last year. How can I trust it elsewhere?

I too use TomTom on my iPhone and yes, it is updated regularly. When I ordered the car (back end of last year) the SatNav was an extra. By the time the car arrived, it was included within the standard car. I am really annoyed that I can't trust it. My dealer tells me he has supplied the latest map and that he does not know when the next update is due, but that, when it does arrive, the usual cost is c.£150 for an update. For a car costing upwards of £36k, this is appalling.

Cant you manually update maps as per below  - this is taken from audi website/brochure

Map updates

The map version delivered can be updated with the first 5 updates which are issued at intervals of 6 months. The current

navigation data can be downloaded from the myAudi Platform

at audi.com/myaudi and installed in the vehicle via SD card.

As a side issue, can you confirm whether the Sat Nav option amount was deducted from your invoice, on the basis that it later became standard fit  - I ask because the same thing has happened with me regarding cruise control on the order I recently placed!

23 hours ago, Rob-H said:

I picked up my new A3 Cab' a week ago. It was supplied with an SD card for the Sat Nav, dated 2016. Like others, I feel most annoyed that it is already out of date. It does not have changes made to major roads around me last year. How can I trust it elsewhere?

I too use TomTom on my iPhone and yes, it is updated regularly. When I ordered the car (back end of last year) the SatNav was an extra. By the time the car arrived, it was included within the standard car. I am really annoyed that I can't trust it. My dealer tells me he has supplied the latest map and that he does not know when the next update is due, but that, when it does arrive, the usual cost is c.£150 for an update. For a car costing upwards of £36k, this is appalling.

Sadly this is the way it has been with may manufacturers for some time now. Hopefully we will begin to see changes as more cars have Google maps etc built it

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3 April 2016 at 10:04 AM, Able211 said:

Not overly impressed with the sat nav in my A3 sportsback, no speed camera option,which I miss. Still prefer my Tom Tom.

I have recently brought an a3 sportback and not to impressed with the sat nav especially camera locations, convienence is good but if I'm going anywhere I don't drive to regularly will run waze on my phone as well, which I suppose defeats the object of the in built sat nav

• 2 months later...

I have Audi's sat nav that happened to be fitted to a 2nd hand A3 I acquired. Also agree it's nowhere near as good as, in my case, Google Maps on a phone. I've seen odder routing, less effective traffic avoidance, and the voice control of Google Maps is awesome - tell it to "Navigate to xyz" and you have the power of Google behind it to find and direct you the place you actually intended to go :). I appreciate Google and their services aren't liked by some. 

I was, however, amused in the dealership when looking at another A3 without Sat Nav, that the Nav key is still of course present on the center console and if you press it you get a message that Nav isn't installed - like a permanent reminder from Audi it was an option you chose NOT to buy on your new car :wink:. Having said that, it's probably not an option I'd have chosen for the price - it's one of those technologies that's advancing rapidly enough to be better via a constantly updated app on a phone, in my opinion.