2006 A3 1.6. No oil pressure warning light.

Magnet

Hello, New to Audi ownership. We now have our daughter's 1.6 Sportback Special Edition (basic) which she has had from new and which has the 1.6 engine - now having done 134k miles. It does not show a low oil pressure warning light with the ignition turned on, although it shows all other warning lights - all of which go off on start up, as they should.

According to the handbook, the oil-can symbol oil pressure warning light should be in the centre display between the rev. counter and the speedometer, and to right of the low petrol (pump symbol) level warning light - which works. The oil can light does not come on when the ignition is switched on as I say, and discovered when I did an oil change, when I always look to make sure the oil pressure warning light goes out on initial start up after an oil change.

Silly question perhaps, but does the Special Edition ( basic) actually have an oil pressure warning light? ( I would have thought so, but...) our daughter can't remember whether the light came on on switch on at any time. So if it was fitted and now doesn't work - faulty oil pressure switch? If so, it would be great if someone could point me to exactly where it is on this engine. This fault does confuse me a bit since I would have thought this would have been fail-safe and the light would stay on with a faulty switch, but....

Hope someone can offer experienced advice. Kind regards, Magnet.

?Hi Gareth, I'm pretty sure the car should have one. Even if it is basic, it should still have that as it's not like it's an optional extra?

Many thanks James. That's my feeling too - too important not to be there. Now the question is where is this oil pressure switch on the 1.6 engine? Colour of connector plug to aid identification?  

If I can find it and take it off then I can check if it's on closed curcuit even when not pressured. 

Kind regards, Magnet.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I've bumped this thread back up again in the hope that someone will be able to point me in the direction of exactly where the oil pressure switch is on this 1.6 engine, so that I can do some tests. I'm not very comfortable not having an oil pressure light! 

Also raised a recent thread on where the power steering reservoir is on this car. Will be very grateful for any help on both issues.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. It would be reassuring if someone with the same model could confirm that they have an oil can light on switching on the ignition.

Gareth. I believe you probably have a failed bulb rather than a failed switch. All the dashboard lights should come on when the ignition is first switched on as a lamp test irrespective of whether the pressure switch etc. is functional, therefore no lamp equals faulty bulb.

Many thanks Cliff - I follow your logic, but wonder if the curcuit that illuminates the oil can light finds its earth through the oil pressure switch, which is "shorted" to ground when no pressure is applied. By this method, it also tests the the pressure switch, and I wonder if this switch works on the principle that as oil pressure is applied, the switch "opens" and disconnects the earth, and the light stays out. 

Its only a stab at it, and if I knew where the switch was then I could test it, which I would hope is going to be easier than testing the bulb in the dashboard. 

Where's switch folks, and where is the PAS reservoir? It's intriguing!

Kind regards,

Gareth.

You may well be right Gareth, as I don't know any details of the circuitry to be certain; but logically it would be a pretty poor design of lamp test if it could be negated by a faulty switch. I've looked in my Haynes manual and it says nothing can be done to the instrument panel and the whole thing has to be replaced if faulty. The circuit diagram is equally unhelpful, but then I am no electrician. It does show the cluster connected to the CAN bus, which to my mind suggests computer control rather than hard-wired.

22 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

You may well be right Gareth, as I don't know any details of the circuitry to be certain; but logically it would be a pretty poor design of lamp test if it could be negated by a faulty switch. I've looked in my Haynes manual and it says nothing can be done to the instrument panel and the whole thing has to be replaced if faulty. The circuit diagram is equally unhelpful, but then I am no electrician. It does show the cluster connected to the CAN bus, which to my mind suggests computer control rather than hard-wired.

A scan with vcds should show whats wrong if you test outputs.  I purchased OBDeleven recently, this does similar to vcds but os only 45 quid. 

Hi Gareth

I would say the Oil Pressure Switch would have to be on one side or other of the engine block,about half way up (usual position for most switches on the main oil gallery).

Don't know whether the car has electric power steering (EPAS), in which case it won't have a PAS reservoir fitted. Some EPAS columns/racks did have a small reservoir on the very bottom of the column (electro-hydraulic)

Let us know what you find

Cheers  Trevor

It will deffo have a light. And it should illuminate regardless and will only go out if it gets the correct signal. 

You usally have an oil level sensor down low and a pressure censor on or near the oil filter (if the oil filter is one up top) or to the side of the engine (if the filter is one down low)

im on my phone so can't see, where are you based. I would go down the vcds route to check the status. Also , you could ring TPS, get a quote for a new sensor and also ask them where it is, they have full part schematics available so you can check wiring. 

• Like 1

Many thanks to you all for the good advice.

Down near Cardiff, Darren.

Just wondered if you could let me have the TPS contact - sorry, never come across these, but sounds useful. What to they do by the way?

Kind regards,

Gareth.