Piece from underneath ripped off - what is it?

Phil Jones

Hello to all - I hope someone can help me.

Whilst driving last week I went over what looked like a plastic bag - then heard and felt a huge bang. Not sure what was in the bag (didn't stop) - but the following morning took the car to a local garage and they put it up on the ramp to find that a piece of metal had been half ripped off. I have attached a picture of it as they kindly took it off for me, but not being a bodyshop couldn't do anymore.

There were other scrapes and marks along the underside, and a small indent in the exhaust (luckily didn't pierce it)

How important is this piece? It looks like it was just a protector for the exhaust (and did it's job) - but do I need to replace it?

Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_1336.JPG

looking at the thickness of the steel and that its got 4 good size bolts I would say its a brace or support of some kind. I would get it straightened out best you can and get it back on

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 11:52 AM, Phil Jones said:

Thanks James, have tried to find someone to supply but struggling. Not tried main dealer yet

Got to be worth a shot. You never know as it's only a small piece of metal!