Power steering leak

F1r3walk

I have a recurring leak from my power steering pump on Audi 80 Cabriolet 2.6 1989 it comes from a blanking plug on top that contains a small spring below.The plug has a large posidrive x on top for tightening it back in to the pump,I have had the car just over 1 month and it has had 2 O rings and yesterday dumped all fluid again so I've fitted another one.I did notice on doing this that an O ring on another part of the pump was a red colour and wonder if normal black ones are affected by the fluid,any ideas people?

Regards John

You could try wrapping some PTFE tape around the thread of the blanking plug before refitting.

I'm also wondering if it could be because it has two o rings and it maybe should only have 1 o ring fitted?

Red o'ring usually signifies it is suitable for higher temperatures (Viton material)

Let us know how you get on with it

Getting really frustrated now,Audi don't even have this pump on their system anymore,the pump is a tandem pump which does brakes as well,decided to have it removed and refurbished,fingers crossed the guy doing it says he's done them before,replacement from Europarts nearly £600,gulp.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Mine just went 3 times. Fluid every where all times. Even said to bloke at parts counter the oring was small profile but no he only shows me the fuel type oring after 3 ring splits. All good now x fingers been 3 days now. All sweet. Replacing fluids was expensive part. Not cheap fluid from petrol station 

• Like 1