Buying advice

Phooey

Hi guys ... new here and looking for my first Audi.  I am looking to get an A4 but am very limited on funds so will be looking for something around 12 years old for first car.  I have seen many nice looking 1.9 diesel examples around for about £1500 and in the 2001 - 2005 range.  The thing that throws me each time is the millage.  In the range 130 000 - 200 000 ... since I have never bought Audi before, should I be looking for lower millage and wait till I have more money or is this kind of millage OK for Audi?

You advice would be very much appreciated as I don't want to ruin my perception of a great car by buying a high millage vehicle to have it cost me a fortune and regret buying Audi.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul...welcome to the Forum!

Its a difficult choice...mileage & cost. I personally always look for the lowest mileage I can find for my budget and sometimes it takes a while for the right car to pop up.

I therefore don't worry too much about distance traveled to buy the right car and can compromise on some options, colours, etc.

Let us know how you get on 

Cheers   Trevor

Hello everyone - sorry to hijack this thread, but this is the exact question I was going to ask when I joined!

What mileage would you say is excessive for the 1.9 TDi engines? (With FSH) I'm looking to buy a B6 A4 Avant, but I too have been put off by the massive mileages that these cars do (Even though my Brother-in-law has this engine in an 05 Golf - currently sitting at 190k and as sweet as a nut!) I'm a little wary, as my A4 will be pressed into daily service and a lot of stop-start town driving (I do around 15k a year......) I'm seeing a lot at around 125k, is this too much, if supplied with FSH and cambelt/waterpump change? I'm looking for a manual gearbox, as well, as the CVT is a no-go, correct?

Are running costs high? Where's the best place to buy parts for the B6? What's the best age-range for the B6?

And what thing should we both look for on the B6 when buying one? What DOES go wrong with them? (If anything!) 

Many thanks in advance ;)

EDIT: Would this be a decent baseline as a buy?

http://www.motors.co.uk/car-42174838/17/sr 

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I managed to get myself an 02 A4 1.9 TDI.  it has 158000 on it but seems to run ok. Paid £1100 which I was quite happy with.

A couple of weird things I have noticed in the few days that I have had her and would appreciate any help you could give.

1)  Climate control doesn't seem to want to blow cold air and bring temp down.  The ECON button is lit and I can't seem to get it to go off.  Is this just topping with refrigerant or is there something more sinister going on?

2) When I put the headlights on they seem to irregularly flash for a few minutes then settle down.  I cant find any lose connections anywhere.  Any idea's?

Pleased with it so far though ... great economy on a run :)

On 7/27/2016 at 3:41 PM, Trevor said:

Hi Paul...welcome to the Forum!

Its a difficult choice...mileage & cost. I personally always look for the lowest mileage I can find for my budget and sometimes it takes a while for the right car to pop up.

I therefore don't worry too much about distance traveled to buy the right car and can compromise on some options, colours, etc.

Let us know how you get on 

Cheers   Trevor

Cheers Trevor.  Bought one and decided to see how I get on while saving for something nicer.