Just some questions regarding headlights

Murph644

Hi, i have an a4 avant se and im interested in buying the sline headlights for my car. The thing im wondering is, will the s line headlights just "plug & play" or will i have to splice wires. Or have to do something with the ecu. All your opinions will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Hi Wayne...welcome to the Forum!

Personally, I'm not sure whether it is a straight swap but hopefully some other members may have the answer...if not its probably a case of try it and see.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

I looked into this (to the point where I actually owned all the prerequisite parts).  From the top of my head (as it was a few years ago now) you need:

Wiring harnesses 

Ballasts

Headlights (with bulbs, obviously)

Auto-Levelling actuators

Auto-Levelling control module

Auto-Levelling harness

Light switch (without manual levelling knurled wheel)

(After this you could also go down the route of getting a new bumper and the relevant washer parts, I wasn't going to bother)

You'll also need some VCDS or dealer coding done (I can't remember if any of the parts had component protection).

I ended up selling the bits off as I decided that the effort required negated the benefit.  Unless yours is a particularly well specced example (is it a plain SE or an SE Technik, at least a Technik will have MMI/Nav) and literally the only thing that's missing is the Xenons (seems odd that someone would fully spec a car without Xenons), I'd imagine the same will be true for you as well.

Feel free to prove me wrong though :wink1:

• Like 1