Desperate help on headlight level sensor wiring please

niteflite

Hi all

New here and hoping for some help please, A3 2.0 Tdi se, Auto level on xenons not working, have found out the cause i think, all the wires are out of the plug on the front strut sensor, snapped over time (car new to me). have another plug with tails i can splice in but have no idea which wire goes to which pin, can anyone help as headlights pointing at floor and have a lot of night driving to do, also have a rear level sensor but not sure the pin out would be the same.

Could anyone let me know or possibly have a quick look and let me know.

Thank you

Hi Tilly...welcome to the Forum

If there are only two wires there, I would try it one way and if going the wrong way just swap them around.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

Really sorry to disagree Trevor, but if this logic is followed, if you are lucky you could end up blowing a fuse. If you are not, you might just run a risk of burning a section of harness.

You can weld with the current out of a car battery!

If it were mine I would tend to let an auto electrician loose on it for half an hour. Electrical diagrams on modern cars are at best difficult to follow, and trial and error is not a recommended practice.

Kind regards,

Gareth

In normal circumstances Gareth I would agree if it was carrying a large current, but I think (i may be wrong) that the connection on the strut top is a potentiometer type sensor and it is only measuring a reference height for the suspension so it will only either raise or lower the headlights if its the wrong way round.  As I said, I might be wrong but I would measure the reference voltage first to determine if it is high enough to do damage to wiring, etc. before attempting to reverse the connections.

Thanks for offering the advice though, it is important to check these things first, otherwise take it to a competent auto electrician to avoid damaging any systems.