New Owner, new warning light

Chase27

I'm a new owner. Middle of August I bought a used Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI (start-stop). Its on a 3 month warranty from the non-Audi dealership I got it from.

65k, full Audi service history, new cam belt and water pump, oil service, MOTd, AA 128-point inspection.

1,500 miles later, wheel bearing and air filter. Done under warranty, no problems.

68,000 miles (mainly motorway) and today the engine "emission control system" warning light came on. The light is yellow, solid (not flashing). The manual says "if the indicastor lamp lights up or flashes a malfunction has occurred which can reduce the  quality of the exhaust gas and damage the catalytic converter" It goes on t say "Drive slowly to a qualified workshop without delay and have the fault rectified.

My local AUDI dealership closes at lunchtime on Saturday otherwise I'd be down there asking them to diagnose it. It'll have to wait to next week. can I drive the car at all until then? 

Does anyone know whether this is common, cheap, expensive etc? All steers grateful received.

I have been told that my car is one of those affected by VW's dirty tricks. Could that possibly be connected?

Cheers

Hi Charles....welcome to the Forum

It sounds like the DPF filter from what you are describing.

The usual cure for this is to blast it down the motorway in a low gear (maybe 3rd gear around 70 mph) but it may throw out some muck so maybe do it at night possibly?

Let us know how you get on with the warranty, etc

Cheers  Trevor

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Trevor

it turned out to be a faulty sensor which I had replaced by Audi for £285. The people who sold me the car (Essex Car Co) were great and indemnified me.

Everyone happy.

• Like 1