A3 Quattro Wobble and Shake

Mikes3.2Q

Hello Audi Fans,

I have joined today following the purchase of a 2004 A3 - 3.2 Quattro 3 door. Great little car and real change from my daily rive Skoda Supurb estate company car. I purchase the Audi to mildly tune her and fit some bits and pieces to make to look a bit special. The car is 2 owner 90k, history and very clean and tidy. I really enjoy driving the A3 in auto or flappy paddle - what fun. My only concern is the wobble and shake I am now getting whilst acceleration. It comes in at around 1500/2000 RPM and stays until hi revs. At any speed you can feel the wobble slightly whilst coasting in Neutral? The wobble doesn't feel like it is coming though the steering wheel, it seems to be middle or rear! Wheels balanced, but no change. Drive shafts feel tight, with limited play as far as I can see. My concern is the DSG box has gone. Has anyone else had this type of issue and found the cure, as do not want to drive until resolved. My next step is Audi garage, but I would like to understand what I am looking at before I find a mechanic. Any help and advise would be gratefully appreciated.  

Hi Mike...welcome to the Forum

The first place I would look for any sort of imbalance is the tyre shape. If you jack up each wheel and turn slowly observing the shape of the tyre to see if it is out-of-round or bulge through damage to the carcass. 

Been caught out by this sort of fault before...definitely worth checking before shelling out huge money.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor