loss of coolant

Hi all I have a 2012 a4 the car has done just a tad over 91k it's 4 years old this month. Early this month i noticed my coolant level was down to min so i topped it up spoke to the local garage they said keep your eye on it checked again this morning and it was halfway between max and min. They have said that all audi/volkswagon engines use coolant but surely not this much in a short space off time. Has anybody else experienced this at all? many thanks for any replys

Edited by Guest
put wrong year for my car

Hi Mick...welcome to the Forum

Engines should not use coolant if they do then you have a fault with the system, I would advise having a skilled mechanic pressure test the cooling system (including the pressure cap) to ascertain if there is a weak point somewhere.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

Took car to the garage today did a pressure test and I have a slight leek from the water pump car still under warranty. cam belt not due till late next year so hopefully all done next week aslong as the warranty company play ball (they will only pay for the waterpump and labour).

Hello Mick,

Glad you had it fixed. "All Audis use coolant!" - worth finding another garage! 

Just a couple of points to ensure everything stays as it should be:-

I would advise keeping a regular eye on the coolant level over the next couple of weeks while inevitable air locks are expelled. Don't be surprised if you have to top up a little over this time, but not after. 

If it were mine, I would get the auxiliary belt (driving alternator etc.) changed. It's done it's time and when they do decide to go can sometimes get themselves cobbled up with the crankshaft pully - with potential catastrophic results.

Final point Mick- what make water pump did they use?  Personally, I don't favour aftermarket ( motor factor supplied) pumps which are known to be highly variable quality wise. Generally main dealer part only for this critical application. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

it was a genuine vw/audi  kit they put on i will ask about the auxillary belt, as they didn't connect my parking sensors back up propley and its going back in on friday