Condensation in cabin...

Darth_stinky

Hi Folks

few week into my A3 8p ownership and I notice there is a lot, and I mean a lot of condensation inside the cabin during normal driving...but no signs of water ingress (no damp patches)

im going to check the bulk head drain plugs tomorrow...

I'm also going to have a look at the driver door seal and the rear wiper boot seals..

Are there any other common causes of excessive condensation in the A3's?

Hello Adrian,

As well as checking the bulkhead drains, change the pollen/cabin filter. Usually lives below the glove box and is easily replaced once you locate it!  Try You Tube.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Adrian

Its also worth considering that with the mad weather we've had lately that due to the insulated interior and the cold ambient temperatures and then the sun decides to make an appearance...all lead to causing condensation (warm inside, cold outside) and its quite common on all cars this time of year.

I did see a condensation trap for cars in Halfords at a reduced price of £10 and wondered if its any good. I imagine its a box full of Silica beads but if it works?

Cheers   Trevor

Morning,  Having the exact same problem with my 57 Plate A3.  Only owned it a short while and it spends most of its time sat in a airport car park while I work away.

I had the Air Con re-gassed recently which made no difference, I have purchased a new cabin / pollution filter and some 1KG Silica Gel bags from Amazon, I'm home on Friday for Christmas so I'll let you know how I get on.  Will also check the Drain plugs as mentioned above.

Have a Good Christmas and New Year

sWill do, the topic of Drainage channels reminded me of my old D plate Cavalier SRi , a few occasions when driving it would suddenly mist up and when I say mist up it was like a sauna.  No idea what was causing it until I noticed it only happened when going around a corner after heavy rain or after going through a car wash, I opened the bonnet and the blower sat is a trough which was full of water, god knows how it kept working but clearing the drainage channels did the trick.

• Like 1

Well Adrian, that sounds like good and bad news!

Still it eliminates the drains. Appreciating the pollen filter was changed, being a back to basics and check and recheck type of chap, if it were mine I would be taking the pollen filter out and having a look at it. Only then can you eliminate that as well.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Update from my end.  Arrived at Cardiff airport last night where my car has been sitting for the last two weeks.  Started her up and as usual it fogged up pretty much instantaneously, when I arrived home the Silica Gel bags had arrived, so they where hung on the coat hooks over night (still there).  This morning, had to move the car, no fogging, went back out later to change the cabin / pollution filter and again no fogging, Just been out again no that Barbara has arrived and it's sheeting down and again, no fogging, pretty much conclusive they are doing something.  

ALSO, as mentioned above changed the Cabin / Pollution filter,   took the old one out and could not believe the $hite that came out with it, obviously not been done in a while by the previous owner.  New one in which is pretty straightforward and a noticeable difference when Temp is set to low and Air Con gets going, seems to be more powerful and a lot less stuffy in the cabin and NO FOGGING.  Ordered a new Cabin Filter for my wife's A4, no issues with her car but we have our cars serviced by a friend of ours and he is pretty old school (only does oily bits) and as mine wasn't changed when I took it there after I purchased my car so I'm pretty sure hers hasn't been either.

• Like 1

Well done Nathan,

OK, silica gel bags and all that, but all things being equal and correct, then if they were necessary then Audi would have included them as a standard feature when new, and I would not wear that!  It's simply basics really, and really is down to eliminating possible causes before moving on. "Yes, pollen filter has been changed sir" is reassuring, but sometimes is just that, and not based on fact as they say!  For the cost of the filter, it's worth changing every year when you consider the general weather conditions and the amount of traffic pollution. 

All is well and that's great.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Air circulation was not switched on, I agree with Darth_Stinky that the Cabin Filter fixes the problem, there was a noticeable difference from the moment the filter was first used and it's subsequent use