Drive Select driving me nuts

Nibbersandbeebers

Or am i going nuts? I have a 15 plate (uk) S4 Avant, black edition nav. I've been using the efficiency mode for boring motorway traffic, after all not much fun to be had so might as well save petrol for later. Or at least I think I have. I went to choose 'efficiency' and it's gone. It's no longer an option if you toggle through using the drive select button on the center console or if you get the graphic of the car up on the nav screen.

I got the car serviced and the dealer assures me it was never there in the first place and the S4 isn't shipped with it. I swear it was, perhaps I'm losing my mind! Would really appreciate it if any B8 S4 owners of the same year could tell me if they have efficiency mode as an option. Better still if you have a minute, a pic of the display on your nav screen showing it (and the gearstick so the dealer can see the S4 logo in the pic) would be great but no worries if not, I know you are all busy out there - in dynamic mode probably! Cheers ALISTAIR... sorry it's all in bold, can't seem to change that.

Hi Jody,

Probably best if you post your question on a relevant forum as I think the year you are looking at buying will be a V8 and mine is a later supercharged V6. With such a significant engine difference I don't think my experience will help you much, you'll get better answers from a forum about that year or perhaps start e new thread.

For the record mine does 27mpg around town, 32-35 in mixed driving inc motorways etc. I have seen 42.5 mpg on along motorway which is astonishing for a 300+Bhp car with all the weight of the Quattro drivetrain... 

Hi, didn't realise that year was a V6 sorry. Generally a fabulous car, docile family transport one minute, effortlessly rapid Q car the next. The combination of Quattro and DSG means rapid ground covering is a synch, or popping into gaps on roundabouts with confidence, wet or dry. I'm sure some will say that it's not the last word in driving involvement, but oversteering rear wheel driving is for the track in my opinion. I'd rather overtake a tractor on a damp country lane know that the car is going to grip and go without any concerns over spinning half the power away at the rear wheels. I fancied an RS4 but I can't say I really yearn for any more grunt, not on UK roads anyway. If you're  not in the mood, sit back and enjoy sensible running costs, too, it's a great all round package. Mine has done  20,000 miles from new, two services (first an oil change) 250 quid per service, back tyres lasted 20,000 miles, fronts 14,000. Tax about 230 quid per year.... all surprisingly reasonable IMO.

Downsides. Mine's very glitchy. So far, failed headlamp washers, failed daylight running lights, shrieking brakes (for nearly 6 months, dealer says nothing can be done about it), washer reservoir that dumps its contents on the drive, luggage blind fails to lock in properly. Annoying as otherwise it's all the car you need. And it doesn't shout about its performance, suits me. Shame it has weird V6T badges rather than the 'Supercharged' badges that the USA counterparts have...

• Like 1