Auto Start/Stop function

AnShiv

Hello,

I have a problem with the auto start/stop feature on my Q5 S Line 2.0 177 bHP. It states System Failure, Function unavailable. Need advice.

Cheers,

AnShiv

Hello Anand,

I too would first eliminate the battery as a source of this problem as Trevor says. As I see it, we are still in relatively early days in terms of this stop/start system and how it stands up to years of use. Of course, it should not cut out if the battery charged level is lower than the specified minimum, so perhaps - just perhaps - the battery is not maintaining that level. This system is interesting since it obviously places a far greater demand on the battery and alternator, and although the car's battery fitted on a new car, usually copes well with some c10 years of service, I wonder if there are any statistics available yet to guide us on how long the batteries will last on these stop/start systems. Yours is approaching 4 years old. Any chance it's reaching the end of its service life? If so, how much longer before the starter calls it a day? - and then the alternator? 

You will gather Stevie that I am not a fan of these systems, and if the above is not enough of an off put, then perhaps we should also consider that the maximum amount of wear on an engine occurs on initial start up! Switch it off and do yourself a favour.

Please moderate these comments with the fact that I am old! In fact old enough to be familiar with its pre war predessor, the Startrix system which automatically restarted the car if it stalled. A disaster!

Anyway, good luck in getting it fixed.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Crikey!  you are showing your age Magnet....just had to look up the system on google.

Mind you, in by-gone days, cars used to stall all the time, especially if the choke was put in too early or points and carb were out of adjustment...oh how I miss those days (not) :wink:

Magnet, love how you go into so much detail, even though I help members out as much as I can, I learn so much from this forum from everyone. very interesting indeed :) that includes you Trevor too. I'm only young (23) so still learning. but learning a lot :D 

• Like 1

That's what the forum is all about Brad, we're all learning...and in my case remembering! It gets more difficult with age to remember things but as I sometimes say...it's not that I have forgotten, its because I have a larger database to search. :yes:

• Like 1

Well Trevor, age is what you are lucky enough to make if it. Suffice it to say the oldest car I have ( and that one has been with me for 37 years) is a bit older than me! It still goes, and stops,  when you remember to sent it a postcard. Now Bradley is going to ask what a postcard is, bless him! 

Indeed, there does seem to be a good mix of contributions on here, and unfortunately as Brad says, I don't do concise very well! Still, it's a contribution, and we should congratulate those reading mine to the end! 

From my side, I would welcome more information in the initial question, since very often, the answer is in the detail of the question. 

The debate I have now is whether it's worth me investing in a 5 year guarantee battery for one of the cars, on the basis of whether a 3 year would do me - if you see what it mean! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Well done Bradley. I like the reply.

This car has cable brakes, but it's "advanced" and has brakes on all four wheels, and not just two, would you believe! No hydraulics here, and certainly no ABS and above all no fault codes! Great. Driving it is a combination of forward thought, evasion and good luck.

Maintenance is just that, and consists of strip and repair, rather than bolt-off-bolt-on replacement, which to a large extent is far easier than depending on codes to indentify faults, which can turn out to be "affect" codes rather than "cause" codes, which can adversely affect the wallet! Whatever, it's all turns out to be useful experience in the end.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. Apologies Bradley, since I owe you a reply. Will get around to it later, after hedging duties, and sorting out an aging VW T2 camper. Don't retire! It's just more work without pay! 

• Like 2

The thing with batteries is you get what you pay for.....the more expensive the battery, the heavier it is (lead content).

Magnet, I would go for a quality 3-year warranty battery, Exide, Varta, Bosch or similar branded ones.

What does anyone else think?...answers on a postcard please :w00t:

can you change the stop start to be off by default and the button switches it on until you either turn it off or re-start? maybe using vag-com? i hate it to be honest so would welcome such a change 

• Like 1