Reversing sensors not working

Rhys3292

Apologies if in wrong topic

I have a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi dsg - my reversing sensors don't work. When I put it into reverse I hear a beep for about 1-2 seconds then nothing - what could be the problem?? Please bare in mind I don't have a mechanical mind so I don't know any mechanical words so please keep it simple if possible

Hi Rhys...welcome to the Forum

I would start by placing the car in reverse with the ignition on (engine off). Ensure the handbrake is on fully and go to the back of the car.

At this stage, the reverse lights should be on and if you place you ear very close to each reverse sensor, then you should hear a faint clicking noise if it is working correctly.

No clicking = sensor has failed.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

Sorry it's taken ages to reply - drive shaft went so had to replace that.

But it's the two driver side ones that don't work. The passenger side made the noises. 

Where do I go from here? And costs? 

• 3 years later...

Hi, I've just had a gear linkage kit replaced as I couldn't get the car in reverse (2008 A3). Just noticed yesterday when I put the car in reverse there's no beep sound and the rear sensors no longer work. Could this be connected as it's too coincidental that I had this gear linkage fitted and now the sensors don't work.

Thanks

Hi, I've just had a gear linkage kit replaced as I couldn't get the car in reverse (2008 A3). Just noticed yesterday when I put the car in reverse there's no beep sound and the rear sensors no longer work. Could this be connected?

Updated: According to the mechanic, "a wire had come off the sensor near to the gear linkage." I checked everything for myself before leaving the garage. Reverse sensors and reverse lights now work.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My Parking sensors on an 2015 Audi A3 tfsi are not working. It is saying “ parking aid unavailable at this time” and when I put my car into reverse I hear a long beep for 1-2 seconds but goes after. 

The text that comes up when I go into setting is “the selected system is currently not available” what can I do to fix this 

Hello Chloe, 

Sounds typical of an issue with one of the in-bumper sensors - which one?? Diagnostics will identify which one for you.

Some have said that you can tell by putting your ear to each one, but that didn’t work for me. Again,  spaying WD40 might do the trick, but again that failed for me. 

Audi will charge you around £160 per sensor, but I bought a new replacement one off eBay for less than £16, and that one even had the Audi part number imprinted on it. 
Diagnostics will give you the correct part number. This is important since there are similar looking variants. Fitting usually entails removing the bumper, but you may get away with it if it’s a corner one. Some eBay sellers offer a painting service. 
perhaps you could let us know how you get on Chloe.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. Could you please complete your profile.