Sparking from Cigarette Lighter Fuse

Jamieking86

Hi guys, I have a 2009 Audi A3. we are going on a trip in a few days so i decided we may need the cigarette lighter for sat nav's and phones etc. The cigarette lighter hasn't worked since we bought the car in sept 2016. I took the lighter from it's place in the car and cleaned all the terminals inside, it was full of muck etc. I used an electrical cleaner and WD40 with sandpaper then a toothbrush. All terminals looks tidy. I put it back in but still wasn't working. I checked the fuse in the compartment inside the car next to the steering wheel, and noticed the fuse had gone. I've just been to buy some new fuses from Halfords, put the new fuse in and it sparked as soon as it touched the connectors then the new fuse popped so it's blown. Does anyone know why it's sparking as soon as the fuse touches the connectors? I'm not the best with cars and electricals etc but I'm pretty baffled. Thanks

It sounds like there is a short to earth within the lighter circuit.  Best not put anymore fuses in until an auto electrician has traced back why it is blowing fuses in the first place. 

• Like 1