Rubbish job? Interior B Pillar Trim replace

DanS3

Dreading asking this question, but...

So I've recently taken ownership of a 2002 S3 and just noticed that the driver side interior pillar trim is a bit worse for wear. It looks like the previous lady owner had long fingernails and a bit of a nervous twitch in traffic cause it looks like she's either been digging at it or chewing on it. 

Anyway - the dreaded question. How much of a mission is it to replace it? Looks like replacement trim is easy to find but I dread getting it on. 

No airbag in there, right? No airbag tag that I can see but just want to confirm. 

Cheers lads!

If it has an airbag in the pillar then it should have SRS printed on the trim cover.

Should just pull off and then undo the seatbelt securing bolt but do not allow the seatbelt to retract from the length/position it is in.

Hi Trevor, cheers for the reply. I'll have a good look and double check - is it safe to pull off the trim if there is an airbag behind it? 

The seatbelt securing bolt, is that on the pillar behind the trim or do you mean the one on the floor under the seat? 

Thanks again 

If you do pull off any trim with SRS in it, make sure you disconnect the battery and leave for about 30 minutes to allow the capacitive discharge to drain.

There is usually a bolt at the top securing the belt and that may impinge removal so will need to be undone