A3 2.0 fsi

scarlett

Hi,

I have a 2004 Audi A3 that went wrong last year in France and needs a power steering rack.  Horrified by the cost at the local Audi, I parked it up with friends and did some research here only to find that the cost of the part and fitting was pretty much the same -£1,800.  It's 2004 reg and was bought in 2015 for £2,800, having got an mechanic to look over it, so I think it is in pretty good nick.  

I am going round in circles; I love this car, but just can't face spending so much to repair it.  I looked into doing a reconditioned part, but that came out pretty expensive too and now wonder if the only way forward is to buy the part from a breaker and gamble on it being ok.  The fitting will cost about £600, so it still involves a big bill, but I can't face ditching the car and my friends are getting a little tired of looking at it.

Has anyone any advice?

Hi Julia...welcome to the Forum

It is worth looking at other variants of the A3 for replacement parts such as Volkswagen and Skoda as they all pretty much use the same chassis components....may find they are being offered cheaper than Audi parts.

Use websites like http://www.eurocarparts.com/  and   http://www.audiownersclub.com/parts-results/A3-S3/Steering-Racks--Boxes/33589

Also, £600 for labour is an horrific cost, shouldn't be more than about 2 hours work tops!

Let us know what you find

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 2

Thanks Trevor,

Have multiple challenges here and not least a local garage in France who are reluctant to do anything other than an Audi part.

I'll try to find a skoda or VW part, but where do I find the part references I'll need?  

Thx,

Scarlett

You will need to cross-reference any new part numbers that you can find, so ask Audi for a quote for new part based on your registration number and they should list it with a part number, look online or even go to a motor factors and buy the part then take it to France with you.

Whereabouts in France is the car as I know some Garages out there?

Hi again,

Will get a quote from Audi.  That's a good starting point, thanks.

I've looked at the images of steering racks on europarts etc, but it's hard to get an idea of the length and size of the part.   I'll take it as outsized baggage on ryanair if allowed, but do you have a rough idea how big/heavy this part will be?

The car is in Lot, north of Figeac.  I was told that because of the electronics involved it has to be done by an Audi garage, but is that correct?  I'd love to avoid the £600 for labour.  Also do you think that a reconditioned or repro part would be better than a breakage part?  (Just a little worried that the garage may not want to work with breakage part.)  

Thx

Julia. One way or another you are going to be faced with a big bill so you might as well bite the bullet now, because even a Skoda or VW rack is not going to be significantly cheaper once fitting charges are included. At one time if you scrapped a British registered car in France you could find yourself liable for French import duty. I don't know if that is still the case, but you need to investigate that possibility when making your decision about repair.

Hi Trevor,

Not ready to scrap this car so must make a decision.  I think I will have to accept the huge fitting cost in the French Audi garage, as with no other Audi garages for miles I am a bit cornered.  However, if I am going to go for a repro or breakage and have crossed referenced the part number with Audi (waiting for their reply) have you any advice on what to look for?  (I had been told that ACS repro parts are good, but there's one listed on eBay for over £9,000, which surely must be an error!)

Julia

secondhand should be fine as should reconditioned units. I think there may be some English run garages nearby, worth checking as these will be cheaper and a lot quicker than the French garages (sorry, sounds bad but I used to live in France and I know how they work...or not as the case may be).

Keep us updated Julia