A1 oil quantity

SteveSE

Just done an oil change on my wives 2014 1.6 tdi sportback.I always use genuine Audi filters and quality oil,in this case Motul Specific 5w30 504/507 spec.

In the technical part of the vehicles manual it does not state the quantity  of oil including filter that is required.

I also own a 2.0 A4 sline with out a dip stick and its manual states 5 litres inc oil filter and so does autodata.

My issue is after putting the oil in the A1 and checking the dip stick it was only 3/4 on the dipstick after 5 litres,and that was after running the engine.

I would not have thought it would take as much as the A4 and as i have stated there are no oil quantities in the A1 hand book 

Can any one tell me the correct oil quantity including filter for the A1.1.6 tdi 105 bhp.

Thanks.

I have just looked this up and it says 4.3 litres. Are you sure it wasn't a 4 ltr can that you had and not a 5 ltr? I would have thought that a full 5 litres would have over filled by a mile?

i wood phone Audi. Tomorrow and ask them wha the oil capacity is.

Well said Dan. As Dan says the 1.6tdi engine holds 4.3 litres. 

Be careful with over filling the engine. Your clearly not stupid as you've changed the oil so you don't need me to tell you, you can do damage by over filling it. (Not meaning to tell you how to suck eggs!) 

cheers

Steve

I wouldn't advise measuring oil while the engine is running. At that point it's pumped a load to the top of the engine, into the filter, through the turbo, etc. It can remove quite an amount from the sump. You definitely don't want to overfill an engine. However it usually doesn't happen instantly so if you've put a little too much in don't panic straight away.

Edit: Generally for damage to occur the piston rod ends would need to be hitting the oil. A whole litre more oil may not cause this to happen, but I wouldn't risk it and leave it in there anyway. 

Thanks guys for your inputs.

The Motul Specific 507 only comes in 5 litres,its pretty expensive but a family member works for Motul so j can get it a bit cheaper.

We have had the A1 for about 5 months doing around 4k. I check oil levels on both Audis on a weekly basis and the A1 has

not used any ,still being at the max mark,never over since we bave owned the car.

After i had drained the oil from the A1 i commented to my son how much oil had come out,it nearly filled my oil collecter.but as i said the original oil in the car was bang on max and was never over.

I reckon just ovef 5 litres has gone in and its on max.,i even asked my neighbour to check the oil after i had been out and it had cooled down.

I think a call to Audi is in order  ,but if the dipstick is showing max and not over what else can be done,the 4.3 litres may be wrong..

Cannot understand why a 2015 A1 115 bhp has nearly 5 litres init when its the same engine just the ecu telling it to produce a bit more bhp

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/oil_coolant_capacity/2015/2095025/audi_a1_1_6_tdi_115.html

Fair enough on what you have found out for 115bhp. You would think it would be the same. I just did a google search for the 1.6 105 ( sweet engine btw!!) and it said 2013 on- 4.3 litres. But you are right the dipstick is what you need to use as a gauge.

The 507 is a great oil. Use it in my T5 and the Audi. Expensive yes, I pay £65 for 20 litres. Quantum. But use nearly 40 litres a year. But for peace of mind it's great. A lot of people on the T5 forum ask if they still need to use it when they do a DPF delete but I would always say yes as it keeps it lube properties for ages.

Often Audi quote two oil quantity figures for their cars.

A wet capacity, if you fill the new oil filter before you put it into the engine, and a dry capacity if you don't fill the oil filter.

I don't know if that could be playing it's part in this debate. However it's useful to know regardless.

I always recommend fitting your oil filter wet too.

Hello Steve,

Bringing this back to basic logic, there are only two possibilities here:- 

(1) The "book" recommended refill quantity of 4.3 litres is insufficient for your engine.

(2) You have the wrong dipstick fitted in your engine.

My (bad) experiences have taught me never to ignore the 'highly unlikely' until you have eliminated it as a possibility.

Possibility (2) can be eliminated by accosting some helpful owner of the same model and engine, and trying their dipstick in your car! 

If that reads the same, then you have eliminated that as a possibility, and whatever quantity you use to refill this to the max. mark - is the quantity required, and the "book" is wrong ( not unusual). 

Although I do not advocate deliberately overfilling modern engines, it was always the common thing to do some decades ago when you refilled to near to 1/4 inch above the max level (rechecked cold) since some oil consumption was usual. Mind, reading what some of these modern engines burn, and is still considered acceptable, it would worry me! 

If you think of the surface area of the sump, then adding an extra 1litre is only going to raise that level by a relatively small amount in any case.

Although nothing to do with the final quantity of oil added, I too think Luey's right in his good practice to at least partially refill the new filter, since it reduces the 'no oil pressure" period when the pump simply refills the filter - bad news! Assuming of course that the filter is attached from below rather than above! A bit messy otherwise.

I would be interested in the final outcome if this.

Kind regards,

Gareth.