1.9 tdi vibration/noisy

Diddles

Hi, my 1.9 tdi feels very rough when revving and driving. Compared to my golf 1.9 tdi, which has no vibration and feels smooth when revving and driving.

Are gearbox mounts known to go?

I've replaced both engine mounts and the snub mount and still no improvement? 

Any ideas what could be at fault, it's just pretty loud in the cabin when driving.

Thanks.

Hi Martyn....welcome to the Forum

It would be worth checking out the driveshafts as if they're damaged or worn it could give you the vibration and also a knocking noise....also check wheel bearings

Cheers  Trevor

Nope, but if vibration can be felt and heard in the cabin then it would almost certainly be something that is rotating (engine balance, transmission, etc)....worth checking the Cam Timing?

Have a look at Group13 in the Engine tab in VCDS - this will give you the injection quantities deviation - The figures should always be pretty close to each other - anywhere from -0.5 to +0.5 is good. If you have an injector problem it will show something upwards of 2.0

Wow that's high! I though mine was bad because when the engine is cold two of the injectors get as high as 0.6. My old golf pd 130 was 0 on all four cylinders and ran smooth as silk but at 130,000 miles the head gasket went. How does yours drive with an injector like that?

any update with the gearbox mount?

Interestingly my car has been laid up for 3 days while I have been away, started it up this morning and it ran like a dream - not the slightest bit of judder.

I fitted the gearbox mount and it's slightly better, the old one did have a lot of play in it. 

Almost feels like it has more power?!??

Im going to strip the front off and check the timing and adjust it if need be. Then if that doesn't help, just going to live with it.

I've just noticed that your earlier post says your Torsion value is -0.5.  Is yours a BRB engine? - if so spec for that should be 0 to 0.5.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I've just removed my rocker cover to check the camshaft, the chamfered edges looks ok, not sure on some streaking tho. Here is a video what do you guys think? Thanks.

Yeah I thought they looked ok, just getting some noise through the intake when the snorkel is off like you would with a worn camshaft. Don't want to change it if it's ok. Just want my engine to quieten down, below 2,500 rpm it's ok but just gets really loud/resonating above these revs.

Your right to think that cam wear would give that sort of noise but you really need to look at the followers. These will give a better indication of wear to produce noise.

do you have increased pressure from engine, taking oil filler cap off does it allow a lot of air pressure out, could be injector seals on there way out in that case, gives a bit of noise too?

With the engine running it's just spits a bit of oil out. Another video of noise.

Still want to check my cam timing, but with the torsion value ok I don't think it's going to be out.

Quick video showing the performance, if the timing was out would it be as quick as it is or slower. It was originally 115 bhp, but I remapped to 145 ish with a blacksmoke remap.

That sounds like timing to me, could it be a result of the remap? Has it been advanced somewhat for the remap?

it is difficult to tell on an iPad though for sound though!!

Was like it before the remap, maybe I should just strip the front down and check the timing just to rule that out.

Its remapped, decatted and also egr cooler and egr valve removed and blanked off. And remapped to add power and code out the egr. None of that made a difference.