Flashing Diesel Light - Longer To Start Engine.

Wee Craigie

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help,with the problem which has started with my Audi A6 2.0ltr TDI Manual?

It started with My brake lights staying on constantly. 

I changed the brake light switch sensor, under the dashboard, which cured the brake light problem. However since changing the brake light switch sensor, my Diesel, glow plug light, on the dashboard has started to flash constantly, also! I now have to keep the ignition key turned to start the engine & it takes longer to start.

When the cars started, It runs with no problem. however the light still flashes.

***** I don't know if this may have had an effect! But I unplugged the clutch sensor at first, thinking this was the brake sensor. Oop's However I've now changed this sensor too. But it's still the same.  

Has anyone had the same fault? and if so! Please, can you advise me on what the problem was. 

Hi

I can only imagine that you've disturbed the glow plugs on the engine somehow. I'm sure I'll be corrected if this engine doesn't have glow plugs! But on most diesel engines you get a warning light on your dash when you turn the ignition key to position II which is usually yellow and depicts and engine. I goes out after a few seconds as the glow plug has reached  the temperature to ignite the compressed diesel/air mixture. If you try and start before the glow plug gets to temp, it does take more cranking. I guess that the light flashing must mean there is a problem with the glow plug.

Hope this helps.

John P

On VAG vehicle a flashing glow plug light usually indicates an issue with the engine somewhere, 9/10 it's a sensor that has malfunctioned. I suggest you get your codes read and start from there.

The glow plugs, when starting the car, would not so a flashing symbol, it would be a steady light for 2-3 seconds usually and then it would go out.

welcome to the forum BTW. Update what happens.

Thanks John, Steve, Dan. For your help & welcoming me to the forum.

John your probably correct. The car probably doesn't even have glow plugs. It's a 2008 model. I'm still in the dinosaur ages :-) ( the light reminds me of the old glow plug light)

Steve & Dan. I'll get it plugged in & see what the computer says. Your correct Dan, with the glow plug light. When I turn the ignition key to first position, (when all the ignition lights come on). The glow plug light is flashing from the start. Were if it was the glow plugs heating, it would be a constant light.

I'll let you know how I get on.