Flashing (P) on dashboard

Big_dom91

Just pulled into the drive put the electric park brake onand then the light was flashing both on the break and a warning came on the dash followed by a flashing (P).

does anyone know what could have caused it and roughly prices for fixing ifit doesnt clear up itself 

also its a 2013 2.0TDI manual

cheers

Hey Dom, 

the video hasn't worked for me but the questions I have have are; 

is your drive on a slope or is it flat? 

Also has the a6 battery gone flat lately? 

Also have you ad the a6 plugged into any diagnostic equipment? 

If not I would recommend that you have this done so you can find the exact fault. Sometimes if there is an issue with the parking brake there can be other issues with the car too. Sorry if iv scared you :/ 

I'd be unsure on how much it would cost to fix without knowing the exact faults. 

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

Cheers steve

the driveway is gravel and more or less level, battery hasn't been flat and also I haven't had it plugged into any diagnostics, i have recently had all 4 brake pads changed recently and once agin the problem has rectified itself.

will have to see how it goes and if it happens again  il begrudgingly have to take it to audi 😩

26 minutes ago, Big_dom91 said:

Cheers steve

the driveway is gravel and more or less level, battery hasn't been flat and also I haven't had it plugged into any diagnostics, i have recently had all 4 brake pads changed recently and once agin the problem has rectified itself.

will have to see how it goes and if it happens again  il begrudgingly have to take it to audi 😩

Your welcome :)

Hmm, has the issue started after the brake pads were replaced? 

I am wondering whether there is a procedure for unwinding or temporarily disconnecting the parking brake whilst brake pads or discs are replaced. And I'm thinking the correct procedure has not been followed hence the issue.

I know on some vag cars with auto handbrakes the back of the car has to be jacked up evenly so in order to get the handbrake to work properly after brakes have been changed and that the correct tools have to be used to unwind the auto handbrake back out of the way whilst changing the brakes. 

I hope what iv said makes sense?! 

Cheers

steve

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have also experienced this the past few days I also just had all 4 brake pads changed, getting minor rubbing from the back 2 brake pads but the mechanic told me they take a while to wear in :whistling1: so will just have to wait a few days and see but please do let me know what the outcome is for you Dom.

On 18/07/2017 at 10:57 AM, Raza_300 said:

I have also experienced this the past few days I also just had all 4 brake pads changed, getting minor rubbing from the back 2 brake pads but the mechanic told me they take a while to wear in :whistling1: so will just have to wait a few days and see but please do let me know what the outcome is for you Dom.

Fingers crossed mine has sorted itself out like its been 2 weeks since it last came on so hopefully it has sorted itself out 🤞🏼

Hi Big-dom91,

Gravel could be the issue here. Sometimes little bits get lodged in the brakes between the pads and the discs. The answer, sometimes, is to reverse to try and dislodge the offending piece. Other than that it could be a water problem with the brake housing or part of it going rusty, this happened on my last A6C7. By the way this wasn't covered by the (extended ) warranty much to my disgust and the disappointment of the Main Dealer. Fortunately my main dealer is great and they gave me a whack off my next service bill.