Diesel Injector replacement

QuattroMark

So moving on from a previous thread........I have now replaced what has been described as a faulty injector.

Bit of a swine to get out, but finally managed to do it - replaced the 'faulty ' injector with a replacement and put everything back together.

Now the tricky bit - I came to set up the injector cam and found that when the cam is at its highest position the lobe is already being pushed tight against the top of the injector, so I can't wind the adjustment screw in to take up any 'slack' - Ive also noticed that this is the same for the other (untouched) injectors - this doesn't seem right to me

So once I sat down and thought about this, I realised there wouldn't be any 'slack' to take up - the adjustment screw is purely there to allow for expansion due to heat. I was presuming it was there to adjust when the injectors get pressurised...DOH!

Anyway, car runs much better now and the injector deviation quantities are much closer than before.

As a precaution I also stripped and cleaned the EGR - what a load of gunk in there! - I am getting spurious readings on VCDS regarding the duty cycle - even at idle it sits at 99.9% where it should be 60-90%.

All readings regarding the EGR are out of spec - I am now thinking this is to do with the remap I had a few years ago.

Mark