Cabriolet 1995. Elect windows.

flyingpete212

Hi all, 1995. Audi 80 Cabriolet. Just started having window problems, centre console switch only operates drivers side window up & down other 3 do not respond. All windows work fine with independent switchers on drivers door.  Only drivers side window goes up and down on raising and lowering roof. I can hear relay pull in when I operate centre console switch and off course drivers window operates OK. 

It could be the control side of the relay is a small fuse for its own protection and the load side of the relay is much bigger fuse to facilitate motor load. This would explain why the relay pulls in but maybe motor load fuse has gone??

Any idea which fuse controls the window motors? 

Any ideas or experience much appreciated.

Thanks Peter

Hello Peter,

I wouldn't claim this is the source of your problems, but such problems can occur where the wiring into the door from the A post - via the flexible rubber sheathing - has become brittle over time and one or more wires almost/do  break. This section of the harness really does get a bit if a hammering, particularly in the colder months where insulation becomes more brittle. It might be worth peeling back the flexible sheathing and just checking there before delving any further.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

I would agree with Gareth on this one, sounds more like the door wiring than output fuse, maybe worth 'wiggling' the loom going into the doors whilst holding down the switch to see if there is any continuity there.

Let us know what you find

Cheers,  Trevor